Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:21:28 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Snow Tires In Short Supply & Will Be More Expensive
« previous next »
: [1]
: Snow Tires In Short Supply & Will Be More Expensive  ( 5313 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 09, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »

According to Channel 3 News, at Noyes Tire and Automotive in Burlington there was a steady stream of customers, either buying new tires, or having their winter tires put on. Herb Noyes told them that Tires are wearing out a little faster because manufacturers are making them softer and they have to be replaced sooner. So as soon as a little winter weather hits, people turn their attention, to their tires. "Business has picked up a lot, the phone has been ringing all day, a lot of tire sales a lot of mounting and dismounting, obviously the weather is really bad out -- cold and sleeting  -- so we are getting a lot more calls than we ever have," Noyes said.

Noyes also says snow tires are going to be in short supply because the manufacturers are a little strapped like everyone else and they are only making a certain amount -- meaning the tires will cost you a bit more this year. Noyes says this is a trend that will probably continue for the next couple of years if the recession lingers.

Ahhhhhhhh!!! Yes, any excuse to raise the price.

Henry Raymond
fletchtb
: 310

« #1 : November 09, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »

I have always gotten a good price on studded snow tires from Premier Tire and Auto in Milton. They have always been nice to work with too. I just bought a new set of Nokian Nordsman 4s from them last week and am having them installed on Thursday.

I highly recommend them.
Sue W.
: 167

« #2 : November 09, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »

Thank you, Fletchb, for the reccommendation!  I need some tires, and they are close by.
khort
: 149

« #3 : November 09, 2010, 11:59:38 AM »

Handy Chevrolet in St. Albans will match any deal on snow tires and they have a $60 rebate if you purchase 4 tires.
slpott
: 457

« #4 : November 09, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »

Rainville's do a great job and very pleasant.
mirjo
: 785

« #5 : November 12, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »

Noyes also says snow tires are going to be in short supply because the manufacturers are a little strapped like everyone else and they are only making a certain amount -- meaning the tires will cost you a bit more this year.

It does sound like a good excuse just to raise the price. People are always going to buy snow tires, so it's not like they're going to go out of fashion! Do they go bad if they are manufactured and not sold until the following year? If they are sold as "last year's model" then they are sold at a discount (slight) right? So that is likely the reason they don't want to make enough for people to actually buy--they can keep the price artificially inflated AND not have to consider selling any at a discounted price! It seems that we get screwed by all entities when it comes to necessities!

Everything is made much more cheaply so it wears out faster and has to be replaced frequently, but the cost of everything is so high it makes it difficult to stay on top of those necessary items...

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Thor

« #6 : November 12, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »

Mirjo,

You are onto the correct line of thinking, with regards to everything being made cheaper and cheaper and yet the price just keeps going up. And it happens to be on the "necessities". So don't lose that train of thought, because it is going to get way worse before it gets better. With a natioanl debt of $13.6 trilliion, an additional $6.3 trillion in Fannie and Freddie debt and $61.3 trillion in unfunded / underfunded, obligated programs such as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, our elected officials have garnered us a $81.2 trillion dollars worth of obligations. Totally beyond any ability to pay it back, no matter how high they crank up our taxes. And now they are going to print money to attempt to fix a small part of the problem, which is going to make the situation for us workers even worse. Inflation is bad, but hyperinflationis worse. But at least you already see the light. All you can do now is make every effort to be prepared for the times ahead. I hope it isn't as bad as some folks predict, but plan for the worse & hope for the best mentality is now in effect.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #7 : November 12, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »

I broke down and got studs for my commute for the 1st time in 5 years.
Nokia ice grips but I cannot find a name like fletch did.

I do know that I have had zero issues and could possibly climb a damn tree with them if needed!

Ran me (SAFEWAY) about $990 for 4. I figure it as insurance. Hope they do too.
Don't wanna be stuck in a ditch at -20F or hit a ditch trying to avoid a moose on the highway.

About 6 years ago when I was working in Wasilla, no comments, making the commute, I yanked my studs off early. We had a late ice storm and it was a mofo getting to work that morning.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: