Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 04:57:38 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Thunder and Lightning.......in a SNOWSTORM?!?!
« previous next »
: [1]
: Thunder and Lightning.......in a SNOWSTORM?!?!  ( 3545 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : February 05, 2011, 09:55:36 PM »

OK, this is weird.
Watching a movie upstairs and it sounds like a low flying plane.
Margie then hollers up the stairs that it is thunder and lightning. We went outside and over on the corner, talking with our neighbor. She was outside when it happened and thought a transformer blew.
All of a sudden there was this absolute BLINDING flash. Never seen anything like it. Directly after things were dark, and then everyone came into focus. Then the thunder.
I have been outside at night and seen lightning, but not this blinding.
Almost sci-fi in nature.
No bolt, or wavy lightning, just one MASSIVE FLASH!

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
monte198
: 79

« #1 : February 05, 2011, 10:17:23 PM »

I saw it in enosburg tonight.  Visability was about a foot in front of me from the snow and all of a sudden i saw two blinding flashes that lasted for about 10 sec.  Have to say this is the first time i have ever seen thunder and lightning during a snow storm.
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : February 05, 2011, 11:56:30 PM »

Jim Zeno and I were working out in the lumber yard at Spartan Industries in the '80s in December. Not sure the year. A gray cloudy day. All of a sudden there was a flash off towards Fletcher way, then thunder. We had never sen that before.

Then a few years ago, it was after 11pm, not sure month or year, but it was winter. All of a sudden there was a flash outside the living room window, and then thunder.

Never saw multiple lightning like this in winter though.

When we were outside tonight, it was this bright blinding flash. No bolt, no crackling of lightning that is close by, nothing, just a bright light. And then it was pitch black as my eyes were adjusting and after a couple of seconds, I could make out Margie and my neighbor and the snow banks and the street light, which at first, I thought had gone out with the flash.
Strange stuff.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : February 06, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »

They call it Thundersnow.  I know it surprised the living daylights out of me.  It was like an extremely bright flash of heat lightning.  We had two of them that I saw up here at the house.  My lights never blinked however and I listened to Don & DJ discussing it as I knew they were out plowing.  Don was sure the first one was caused by an exploding transformer.  I actually didn't hear any thunder after the first flash, but I had the TV on.  I did hear thunder after the second flash.  Watched the 10:00 p.m. Fox News and they showed where there were flashes of lightning up and down the Eastern part of the state.  Really Strange.

Henry Raymond
Justice
: 4

« #4 : February 06, 2011, 08:07:43 AM »

I saw Thunder Snow for the first time last night.
That was very strange indeed. I was sitting right in front of the window and saw the biggest, brightest flashes of light that lit up everything in the backyard. Shortly after was a horrendous boom, the house even shook. I first thought that something happened to a plane overhead, jumped up and ran down the hallway. Right after that it happened again. Scary not knowing what on earth was going on.

This morning I read the weather blog online from The Burlington Free Press and Reporter Matt Sutkoski who resides in St. Albans blogged about it this morning.

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com/weather/2011/02/06/very-rare-thundersnow-rattles-vermont/
Razzle Dazzle

« #5 : February 06, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »

Dang I missed it.
I fell asleep watching TV...darn
: [1]  
« previous next »
: