Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 05:47:13 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Tractor Trailer Catches Fire With Driver Asleep In Cab In St. Albans
« previous next »
: [1]
: Tractor Trailer Catches Fire With Driver Asleep In Cab In St. Albans  ( 2559 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 06, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »

A semi-truck driver sleeping in his cab overnight was nearly killed when his 18-wheeler suddenly burst into flames.

According to witnesses, a passerby in another car saw the fire, banged on the truck door and helped to pull the man out.

"He's very lucky," said Duane Cook, a fellow truck driver who often parks at the St. Albans rest stop. "By the grace of God that car was there and saw what was going on. For a guy's truck to burn completely to the ground, and for him to escape in unscathed and go to a motel room instead of an emergency room is a very amazing thing."

The man, identified by witnesses as Bill Speed of California, was spending the night at the Jolley Short Stop gas station near Interstate 89 in St. Albans.

It is unclear why the truck caught fire, but crews from Georgia and St. Albans Town were able to put it out by mid-morning.

Read more: http://www.wptz.com/news/28137639/detail.html#ixzz1OUrbgtn

Also much more detail in the Burlington Free Press at:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110605/NEWS02/110605011/
« : June 06, 2011, 07:22:19 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : June 06, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »

Margie and I were heading out to St. Albans Sunday afternoon when we saw this being pulled out of Jolley's by McRae Trucking. Took a couple of pictures with my iPhone and cropped them. Saw what was left of the tractor, but it was too far ahead to get a good picture.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : June 06, 2011, 08:20:22 AM »

Kind of scary - Wondering if there isn't some kind of smoke or fire alarm that would be activated in a situation like this as I believe a lot of truckers sleep in their trucks

Henry Raymond
Razzle Dazzle

« #3 : June 09, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »

Glad nobody got hurt!
Kudo's to everyone involved.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: