Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 09:49:10 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Nordic Ski Team State Meet Results.
« previous next »
: [1]
: Nordic Ski Team State Meet Results.  ( 2282 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : February 29, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »

We came into Tuesday's meet at Grafton convinced that our best effort on boys' and girls' side could lift us into second place in Diivision Two with both teams.  Our boy's squad trailed U-32 by 30 points while our girls were 20 points behind Woodstock.  Tradi tionally, we are stronger classical skiers than skate skiers most years in Fairfax, but in this winter of sketchy or no snow we rarely skated. Our feeling headed into the classical portion of state meet was that our best races were yet to come. We were right.

Our boy's squad closed in on U-32 after the individual race, but any hopes of climbing into the second spot ended with a collision and a broken pole in the tag zone that cost us 45 seconds in the afternoon relay event. Nonetheless our guys distinguished themselves as both sportsman and fierce competitiors. This is a "no excuses" bunch.

Senior Eric Newbury scorched the course in the 5.9k individual morning race taking 9th overall and 4th in D-2. Senior Eli Philips backed him up with a 21st overall and an 8th in D-2.  Senior Captain Ethan Farmer skied hard and well to take 14th in D-2. Junior first year skier Travis Yandow closed our scoring in the 23rd slot.  Senior Sam Lesnikoski provided some insurance for us with a 30th place as we gained needed ground on U-32.  Our relay started well and into the 3rd leg we had a ten second lead on our adversaries when a collision in the tagzone with a skier from another team demolished Tavis Yandow's pole and us at a disadvantage we could not overcome.

Our boy's team has had a wonderfully successful season. The senior leadership provided by Ethan, Eli, Eric, Sam, and Morgan Wynes gave our group a memorable character. They worked hard, they played, they competed all out, all the time. Seniors Morgan Wynes, exchange student Frode Persen, and freshman John McGuinness are all part of this hard-working unit that never gave in and never gave up.

Our girl's team came into Grafton about as focused as any team I have ever coached. I felt my primary job was to provide them with a competitive wax and then get out of their way. Senior captain Mattie Hayes and senior Allie Minor led our charge on and off the race course. In the individual race Mattie took tenth and our first scoring position.  As they have done all year, the girls came in after her in quick succession.  Allie was 12th, and junior Margaret Fitzgerald capped her very successful season with a 13th. Junior Julia Snyder, typically our strongest classical skier, struggled on bad skis to grab 19th, but sophomore Nicole Peatman stepped up in a big way to finish as our last scoring skier in 15th. Our strong morning race left us in position to overtake Woodstock if we could stay ahead of them in the classical relay.

Mattie Hayes scrambled and put us 25 seconds ahead of our rivals. Margaret Fitzgerald held that lead. Julia Snyder pushed it our a bit farther. This left it up to Allie Minor and she tore the course up. We finished minutes ahead of Woodstock.

Our girl's team is as close and supportive a group of athletes as I've ever seen. For three years our core group of Mattie, Allie, Julia, and Margaret has worked together to be the best they can be. Their payoff came Tuesday with a stirring comeback. I am happy for all the girls but especially for the senior girls, including state meet skiers Elizabeth Adams, Olivia Snyder, and Ruby Bushey. Along with juniors Austen Carpenter, and  Emily Filiberti and sophomore Nicole Peatman, they made this a year to be remembered.

I will point out as well that our small school fielded a 58-person team, over 20 of whom began the year as never-evers. They signed on to ski, but ended up spending perhaps a third of their season in running shoes. We all hated it, but no one complained. An atmosphere that could easily have been toxic was instead cohesive. I am proud of all our kids' response to this challenging winter. I am also grateful to the hard, selfless work of fellow coaches Tom Pfeiffer, Martha Varney, and Judy Hayes. And I could not sleep if I didn't mention our Soup and Cornbread Coach, Shelly Potalla.  I am indebted to all of them.
Fred Griffin, coach

« : March 01, 2012, 09:43:17 AM Rev. Elizabeth »
Thor

« #1 : March 01, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »

Fred,

Congratulations on a fantastic season. Motivation and drive are things that the kids have to find in themselves, but the cohesiveness of a team is a direct reflection of leadership. That would be you, and you continue to do a great job. It is additionally a very refreshing thing to see a group of kids who can retain their individual desires and goals, recognize the need for each team members individual skills and see how that will best benefit the overall effort of the TEAM. From the outside looking in, you have established a group of kids who recognize that with hard work, in the classroom, in training and in every competition they can be successful. One of life's truly, if not the, most important thing. I have never been around such a large, diverse group of young adults who maintain composure and epitomze sportsmanship. Very impressive. And once again, a direct reflection of the leadership you provide.

I could not be happier for you and "your kids". Positive role models for all that come in contact with them, and certainly the folks we want representing BFA.

Congrats to all.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: