Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:34:53 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Update from Calienta From Ed & Helga
« previous next »
: [1]
: Update from Calienta From Ed & Helga  ( 1460 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 11, 2012, 06:24:57 AM »

Today we explored Cathedral Gorge. Just look at the pic of the "Grandstand View" and you can understand the beauty presented. Bella accompanied me down the first flight of stairs, then the second in view of the left side of pic, then a third and finally a fourth. Lightning was flashing off in the distance to the left of the picture and a few drops of rain did fall. Helga remained on top where she wrote post cards. About a million years ago this area was under freshwater lakes and marshes. Sands and clays washed down from the mountains leaving deposits weathered by the rains of today.

Next we explored the Bristol Charcoal Kilns. Helga and Bella say hi. During the early silver mining days of the 1800's, juniper trees were cut, dried and turned into charcoal fuel. This landmark lies on BLM land with the dirt roads in good condition.

On our way back to Caliente, we stopped at Pioche, NV. You should remember this name as it is more famous than Bodie, CA and Tombstone, AZ. Before anyone could die of natural causes, 72 men were shot and buried in Boot Hill Cemetary. The wooden headstone reads, "July 6, 1873, Johm H. Lynch, Shot over a Dispute of a Dog". At one time this town was 10,000 strong because of a silver mine. One of the interesting stories of the turbulant times goes like this: A married couple arrived by stage, but as they dismounted, 3 men were shot and killed in front of them, still stwitching as the couple stood, shocked. Within minutes and without unpacking, the bride jumped back into the stage and returned to her mother. I wonder what kind of story the groom told the bride to get her to come out to Pinoche?

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: