Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 01:22:30 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  The Need To Bridge Retirees With Community
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Need To Bridge Retirees With Community  ( 3493 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 14, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »

This Weekend, Emerson Lynn, Editor of The St. Albans Messenger had an interesting Editorial -- Now I personally don't agree with everything he says, but he does make some very good points:

The need to bridge retirees with community
[/size]

There is good news and bad news. The good news is that statistically women can expect to live 13 years longer than their mother or maternal grandmother. Men can expect to live 11 years longer than their father or paternal grandfather.

That's also the bad news. The two maladies most common to old age are dementia and depression, according to the experts. An extended life makes one more vulnerable to both.

Dementia we understand. But what about depression as part of retirement? If someone retires and has a long, work-free life ahead of them, isn't that the recipe for sheer bliss?

No, according to the experts.

People need to be connected and have a sense of self-worth. Being a ski bum, playing cards, or hitting the local golf course isn't enough. As relaxing as it may sound, a sedentary life style usually results in a sedentary mind and social milieu. As the baby boomer generation reaches these retirement years, the challenges are expected to multiply exponentially.

Those who study such societal trends argue that what jars most early retirees is the lack of respect as they evolve from the workplace to the home. At work, respect was a natural byproduct of one's effort, or what was produced or the perceived responsibility. Retirement, for many offers no substitution.

This is true in our own communities. Consider this as an appropriate exercise: Think of those who were actively engaged in their businesses/jobs a decade or two ago. What are they doing today? How highly are they valued? Do we keep them in our public consciousness? Are they members of local boards or volunteer organizations?

Do we even ask them? .

It’s only recently been an issue - recently being defined as within the last several decades. Before then the life span difference between retirement and death wasn't that significant. Even the young had heard of the recently deceased and their contributions or reputations. Today, someone can spend more years in retirement than in the workplace. When they die, few really remember who they were or what they did.

This is one of the reasons we write occasional tributes - just to keep the memories alive. Bob Bliss, of St. Albans, is one example.

It occurs to us, however, that the baby boomer generation is going one way and our communities are going another - like two ships passing in the night." Communities are allowing their most important allies to slip away unsolicited. The baby boomers are complicit in the missed opportunities by allowing their talents to go unnoticed.

There are exceptions. Obviously.  Warren Hamm is one.  He volunteers for most everything.  Pete Rath is another.  So is Don Minor, Betty Finn, Joan Wilson, Jerry Morong, Jim Coots, Pixley Hill and a host of others.

This isn't about them. It's about the 95 percent we can't name but who have many of the same needs - to be involved, to continue to make a difference, to establiish the social networks essential to one's sense of contentment [It's also a statistical fact that those who are active in social circles are healthier than those who are not.]

But this also isn't just about volunteerism. It doesn't work for any group to simply say, hey we've got a couple of open spots on the board, wanna join?

Retirees haven't lost their skills. They haven't lost their sense of importance. They understand fully what is worthy of effort, and what isn't.

What's missing is the sales job that could serve as the bridge between those looking for something of value to accomplish, and to belong to, and the multitude of community projects/challenges that remain unmet.

That's easier said than done. It would require a different mindset and a rewriting of existing job descriptions.

One example: Would it help if the local chamber of commerce took on part of that task? There are a number of challenges facing the city and its downtown, could the chamber act as the agent that "sells" the need?

Could a group of retirees be assembled to act as a facilitator?

The list of "what-ifs" is endless. The point, however, is that we have a growing number of retirees in our midst who want to be involved in their communities in a productive, meaningful way.  They are smart. They are motivated. They have sufficient energy for whatever tasks that would apply.  We have 14 communities in Franklin County, and each of them have unmet needs. We need to find ways to bring them together.

.   . by Emerson Lynn[/b]

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #1 : April 14, 2007, 07:40:16 PM »

Now I am going to make a reply to this Editorial and it is not to Emerson Lynn so much as it is to the people who might think, "Wow, here's a chance to get rid of this crap job, let's give it to this retiree, he or she will really appreciate it."

Keep in mind that we old retirees didn't just fall off the Turnip Truck and we'll know what your objective is.

Or to the retirees who read it and think, "Here I am world, make me happy."

We are not all the same and each one of us enjoys different things in life.  I personally have a lot of projects going, and more importantly at the end of each day have never completed them all.  If I did and had nothing left to do, then I probably would become depressed myself.  Also, if I had a lot left to do and it was all stuff I took no enjoyment in doing, then I would also become depressed.  I spend a lot of time doing the things I like, talking with the people I enjoy talking to and going to the places I enjoy going to, which to me makes my retirement truly enjoyable.

I also have no problem being honest with people, without being rude and along with all this, I have a wonderful wife and family.  Maybe, just maybe I am more fortunate than a lot of people.

One other thing that would be a help to retirees is if there were pre-retirement seminars available for them to attend.  Back in earlier years in the company I used to work for they had such seminars.  Retirees came in and spoke not only of the happy things that happened, but also the adjustments that had to be made.  One of the bigger adjustments I remember one old retiree talking about was spending 24/7 with his wife and talking about the little things that they could get on each other's nerves about.  These were honest to goodness retirees talking to prospective retirees.  The program was available to employees about five years before retirement. 

The burden of making a happy retiree does not fall entirely on the community --  There is an individual responsibility.

A very good point that Emerson makes in his editorial is:

"People need to be connected and have a sense of self-worth. Being a ski bum, playing cards, or hitting the local golf course isn't enough. As relaxing as it may sound, a sedentary life style usually results in a sedentary mind and social milieu."
« : April 14, 2007, 09:31:38 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : April 15, 2007, 12:19:24 PM »

Just received the following note from one of my retiree friends who lives in The Villages in Florida -- By the way, this gentleman is very active and far from depressed:

"The key to this village and the retirees is the availability of activities, clubs and two down towns with restaurants, small specialty stores and recreation.

The down towns have free entertainment every night and a third downtown is being planned and built in the next two years!  There are 8 Championship Golf courses with 18 or 27 holes each, 25 Executive courses we play for FREE! 

They have two bowling alleys all computerized, two theaters and over 600 clubs that covers about anything you can imagine!  We have over 400 people on the IBM Retiree Club.  Our own TV station & radio station.

Lot's of open land with the golf courses, a 149 acre eagle preserve, numerous ponds and wild areas......burrowing owl and tortoise preserves!

Lots of common land, golf cart community,,,,amenity fee is $140/month.

Includes garbage pickup,,,,,three times a week.

Fun place and you can keep as busy as you want to.......lot's of part time work in the villages and the area in general...

http://thevillagesdailysun.com/content/current/sections/actsched.pdf"

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : April 15, 2007, 12:49:59 PM »

"Henry,
I enjoy spending a lot of my time with the Milton Community Youth Coalition and the Teen Program in Milton.  I've been fundraising for Milton Girls day in May, and I'm going with a group of teens to Biloxi next week on an alternate spring break to help with hurricane reconstruction.  The teens are fun to be with, and they keep me feeling young.  I stay active with professional societies, like VSPE, where I worked on the regional and state MathCounts competitions.  In other spare moments, I got a lot of skiing (both downhill and XC) in this winter, and now I'm looking forward to the arrival of biking, golfing, and windsurfing season.  Also there are friends for going to concerts and movies and dinners. 
Depressed??? -- Got no time for it!
Cheers,
KC"

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : April 16, 2007, 09:15:26 PM »

Hi All,

I received this note from a friend of mine who has had a successful working life and now a successful retirement:

"You ask if I can share something about retirement. My first reaction is, what can I share with anyone about retirement. We live a rather conservative, boring life as measured by a lot of peoples standards. I believe in giving 110% in all I do and I did that in every job I did. Now I give 110% to my retirement. Now isn't that pretty square?

While working, I remember some of my peers spending their time at work, and that was about the size of it, they spent their time there. They partied a lot, seemed to have all the latest gadgets and seemed to live quite a social life. When there were extra bucks they went into savings plus some not so extra bucks. However, all I had, I appreciated.

And now, this coming June I will have been blessed and retired 15 years. This past April my wife and I celebrated 51 years of marriage. As I said, I have put 110% in to my retirement, and therefore I have not spent a boring day in all this time. Some of those peers I spoke about earlier aren't here any more or are still working.

So. based upon the above experience, I would recommend:

To the person still working;

Self motivate yourself so that the accomplishments you make at work give you self satisfaction. It helps that you please your boss while doing this, but it is more important that you feel good about what you are doing. In some jobs, admittedly, this is a very difficult task.

Think twice about buying that new toy. You just might live long enough that you could enjoy it a lot more in retirement. If you don't, then it doesn't matter.

If you can't wait until you can retire, be sure you have a plan to keep active. You cannot stop work and stop. If you don't have a plan, it won't matter that you retire because you won't be retired very long anyway.

If you are married to your job, or a work-a-holic, keep working. You are doing what you want to do as long as you and your spouse are happy.

To the person that has just retired;

Keep active, mentally and physically. Join a gym, get exercise equipment.

Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. Look for volunteer work that will give back what you have taken from life. Don't worry about looking very hard, because most likely, it will find you.

Do things with your spouse that you've never done before. It doesn't have to be expensive things, but things she might enjoy. Give it a try no matter how un-masculine you might perceive it. It also might be an opportunity for you to be re-acquainted with her, your children and grandchildren. CAUTION. The young ones can tucker you out pretty fast.

I have not gone in to detail about how I've done these things. Everyone has their own interests and mine most likely would not be of interest to anyone else.

And always keep in mind, you are now in the twilight of your life. It is inevitable that you are going to cease to exist. Make sure you are at peace with our creator. It will certainly give you peace of mind."

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: