Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Yup!!! Its Wireless Communication Equipment
« previous next »
: [1]
: Yup!!! Its Wireless Communication Equipment  ( 4816 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 14, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »

You know that tower in Main Hill I've been talking about:

Well, the big P on the front is for a sign change from Verizon to Fairpoint, but........

The tower will have some microwave equipment installed for wireless communication, which most likely will be high speed Internet since it is FairPoint.  There is no permit for the tower as it meets the requirements that comes from the Federal Government, not the town.    Due to some concerns by the neighboring residences regarding radiation, construction has stopped, however, FairPoint maintains that radiation emissions are about the same as a household microwave oven.  The tower will not be higher than it is right now.  Sure would love to know more details.

Henry Raymond
JoeT
: 100

« #1 : August 14, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »

According to some folks with whom I've spoken, Fairpoint realized they will not be able to build out DSL fast enough to meet the requirements of the Verizon sale agreement / Gov. Douglas' e-state initiative.  They've decided to go with a wireless solution some areas.  I'm not sure if that's interim until DSL gets fully built out or permanent.

This tower could very well be the start of that wireless system.

Now, how is that signal gonna make it all the way over to Buck Hollow???  : )

Regards,
Joe
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : August 15, 2008, 09:37:49 AM »

One resident of Georgia Mountain told me he was asked for permission to put a tower up on his land - Don't know if this was FairPoint or some other Wireless Communication Company.  I have sent a note to FairPoint to see if they can release any of their plans for this area and Wireless Communications for High Speed Internet.

Henry Raymond
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #3 : August 15, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »

GlobalNet Internet Services http://www.surfglobal.net/ is another company that offers wireless Internet connections for Northern Vermont including parts of Fairfax.  We had them up at the house in early March.  Their testing revealed that we could "see" their signal but we were at the fringe of their limits.  Since the trees were not leafed out and since the trees were in line with their existing antenna they decided that we would not be a good candidate for their service ( they want to ensure customer satisfaction).    They did mention that they were looking to add an antenna on top of Georgia Mountain and at the time they were shooting for sometime in August.  Not sure if your post is about GlobalNet or yet another option.
« : August 15, 2008, 03:14:36 PM Henry »
: [1]  
« previous next »
: