Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 12:28:53 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  911 Problems Today In Northern Vermont
« previous next »
: [1]
: 911 Problems Today In Northern Vermont  ( 4780 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 03, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »

Don't know if this had any effect in the Fairfax area, but you can read what Channel 5 had to say about it:

Henry Raymond
fletchtb
: 310

« #1 : September 03, 2008, 04:14:20 PM »

It sure seems like Fair Point has had a bunch of problems since taking over for Verizon in Vermont. Failures of the 911 system are inexcusable.

If you add in the fact that they don't have the ability to pay your bill online, we seem to be significantly worse off than we were before.

At least Fair Point wants to do business in VT, so maybe they will end up being better than Verizon was for us.

HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #2 : September 03, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »

Yes, this phoneline problem did affect the Fairfax area and the whole county for that matter.  Around 9:40am Fairfax Fire received the knowledge from Central Dispatch in St. Albans (the counties primary PSAP center, a site that is the first answering point for a 911 call is called a primary PSAP.  A primary PSAP is also usually a dispatch center for police, fire, and emergency medical services.) that the E911 system was down and there were only two PSAP Centers on line. 

This forced us, along with Fairfax Rescue to staff our stations for dispatching purposes.  Dispatch centers would be able to receive limited 911 calls which would force some citizens to call their local fire or ems agencies directly (as directed by radio broadcasts).  Fortunately there were no emergency calls during the time the system was down.  The E911 centers came back on line around 12:30.  Fortunately here in Fairfax, we are able to self dispatch from our base radio system. 

Please remember if you have an emergency please dial 911 do not call your local fire or ems stations as most of them are not staffed full time therefore no one will be able to assist you. 

Henry
Administrator

« #3 : September 03, 2008, 06:39:24 PM »

Justin,

On WCAX Channel 3 tonight, they said if we did encounter a fast busy or hangup when trying to dial 911 to call our primary response provider, which kind of left me at a loss, as I really don't know who or what number that is.  Supposedly the state will be asking Fairpoint to come up with something that will not allow that to happen again, but suppose it does, what number would I call??  The phone book does have a number for The Vermont State Police in St. Albans, which I guess might work.

Maryann and I both have LifeLines and they are the ones that call 911, if we should push the button and nobody responds here at the house when they come on the speaker.  I doubt they have a back-up number for 911 either.

I'm sure glad I didn't know 911 was down as I am sure I would have panicked just a bit realizing I had no way to get hold of Fairfax Rescue or Fairfax Fire.

Any Suggestions???

Below is the link to tonight's Channel 3 News report that says "always have your 7 digit emergency number handy":

http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8947279
« : September 03, 2008, 07:00:22 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
7F5
: 44

« #4 : September 04, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »

Hi Henry,

As Justin stated, always use 911 first as often time no one is here at the fire station. The county had an E911 failure about 8 years ago and we tried to get numbers ticker tape on the screen on TV, but they would not do it without the blessing from VT Emergency Management. The failure was caused by a gentleman cutting a tree down, which took down a fiber optic line and a powerline. The powerline burned through the fiber optics line killing the main 911 hub.
    I went to the big powwow with Verizon, VEM, many town officials. There was lots of questions and finger pointing, the powers to be really did not think it was an issue.
    Well, when it comes to a life or someone's property, IT IS AN ISSUE!!!
    This is when we put into our Town's EOP to staff the station when we know of a failure.
    2 numbers ring at the station 849-6075 and 849-2773. These numbers will only work if we know of a failure and we are there.

****DO NOT CALL THESE NUMBERS TO GET HELP ON A REGULAR BASIS, USE 911**** 

Hope this helps-Steve
« : September 04, 2008, 07:09:19 PM Henry »
Henry
Administrator

« #5 : September 04, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »

Thanks Steve,

I will put both of those numbers in the front of my phone book along with the St. Albans Vermont State Police number.  Having to have called Fairfax Rescue 3 times recently, think I would have really panicked if I couldn't have gotten through.  I certainly don't plan to use them unless absolutely necessary, as I would have to look them up.  I can however remember 911.

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #6 : September 05, 2008, 07:49:42 AM »

Something to keep in mind.  All dispatch centers have a direct (non-911) line.  Good idea to keep those hand in case of something like this happening again.

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: