Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:25:42 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Anonymous Letter Regarding Full-Time Kindergarten Program
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Anonymous Letter Regarding Full-Time Kindergarten Program  ( 12492 )
logical
: 141

« #15 : November 07, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »

Thank-you, CJB.  I agree w/you.  I just have a couple of more points to make on this and then I'll shut up!

1)  If I choose to send my child to full-day kindergarten that does not make me an irresponsible parent!  That makes me concerned for my child's future. 
2)  By offering full day kindergaren in some instances you will prevent having children repeat a grade.  That would be an added expense of those children spending an extra year in the Fairfax school system.  I believe there are currently 12 children participating in afternoon kindergaten session.  Without this session these 12 children would be in danger of having to repeat kindergarten or other grades later on. 
3)  And in response to the $400 a month private school issue:  Using this same belief couldn't we say that the town should no longer fund the sports program?  If parents would like for their children to continue to participate in sports than they should cover all expenses involved?  As a tax payer why should I be responsible for these children participating in sports if my child does not?  I understand that times are hard financially for all right now but can we really say that we shouldn't cover an expense because not everybody will benefit from it?  I can think of many programs that the town currently funds but that I do not utilize but that doesn't mean that I think we should do away with the funding.

Armando
: 1

« #16 : November 07, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »

Dear Editor,

The idea of providing a full-day kindergarten option has generated much discussion in our community.  In the next couple of weeks, the school board will be putting together a fact sheet with as much information as possible regarding this idea.  This document will provide an accurate description of costs, schedules, curricula, transportation, and any other facts that they hope will provide information to help explain the benefits of this option.  This coming Monday evening at 7:00 PM the school board is hosting a budget input meeting to solicit ideas from the community before starting their budget work.  The board will not finalize their decision on the kindergarten issue until sometime around the first of the year. 

The school board appreciates the comments and encourages anyone with thoughts on this idea to contact them or attend one of their meetings. 

Armando Vilaseca
Superintendent
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: