Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:20:47 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  police coverage
« previous next »
: [1]
: police coverage  ( 2762 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : November 17, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »

Last spring the  General Assembly and the Governor's Agency of Administration decided to study the status of law enforcement statewide. Among the questions to answer are what exactly is needed for law enforcement services and how should the responsibilities be divided? What will the State Police do and not do?  Where, how and who will pay for police services? And, the key question, will a mandate be passed to local municipalities requiring them to operate and pay for their own police forces.

Rep. Gilbert and I attended a discussion of these topics today at the town hall in St. Albans Town. Fairfax Selectboard  members Judy Cleary and Bob Horr also attended. Public Safeties Strategy group has been hired to conduct public input sessions and to gather information that will be helpful in forming changes to statutes. I was surprised to learn that the  legislative district is among five Franklin County towns requesting the most attention from Vermont State Police resources. Georgia, Fairfax, St. Albans City, Swanton and Highgate are included in the 21 communities that require the most State Police attention. St. Albans City and Swanton have their own police forces. Should they be expanded? Georgia and Fairfax contract with the County Sheriff for weekly coverage. Should the contracts be expanded?

Someone has to pay for police protection. What is the best way to proceed? Contract with the Sheriff for more coverage? Should new legislation be written to enable a regionalized police force? What is the role of public education? How many Franklin County residents realize we require more police attention than most other parts of the state? Should communities be forced to set up a local police force?

These important questions will be discussed as the legislative session approaches. Please contact me with your comments at  cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us  I want to hear from you.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1- Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: