Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:16:40 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  The Old Grange Hall
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Old Grange Hall  ( 3320 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : December 07, 2008, 10:20:09 AM »

For those of you that may be relatively new in town, I have posted a photo of the Old Grange Hall as it looked in the mid 1970s.  It used to be a place for not only the Grange to hold its meetings, but I am told in the 1940s when the original BFA burned, they were having a girls basketball game in the building.  At one time they used to show movies there and I have attended a number of surprise parties there such as my Father & Mother-In_Law's 25th wedding anniversary party - I dropped my future wife off there one Sunday afternoon where she was pleasantly surprised with a Bridal Shower.  Remember hearing personal original poems by Effie Bellows and Clarence Preston.  Lots of old memories there which at one time was kind of a place to gather together, not only for the Grange, but other local community events:

Henry Raymond
Mummy
: 280

« #1 : December 07, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »

Can you tell us why this once so popular location turned into a vacant building?   Thanks
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : December 07, 2008, 07:37:13 PM »

Back then, the boys and girls teams played the same night-no JV teams. The girls played first, then the boys. It was during the boys game that someone came running in to say that the school was on fire.
The Wolds used to own it and had a bookstore in there. Their son now owns it, he's out of state, but I think I heard he would like to bring back the bookstore.
One major problen-absolutely no parking.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : December 07, 2008, 07:42:25 PM »

The building was built around 1889 and originally was known as a roller skating rink - Somewhere along the way it became Alfred's Store, then owned by The Town of Fairfax, who then sold it to Fairfax Grange #525.  In 1979 the Grange sold it to Arthur & Louise Wold who made a used book store out of it.  Both Arthur & Louise are now deceased and it is now in the name of their son Carl & his wife, I believe.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: