Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:21:25 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Will The Bells Be Ringing In Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: Will The Bells Be Ringing In Fairfax  ( 3671 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 12, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »

"Bells will ring for ten minutes across the state starting at 2:12 this afternoon."  Anybody know that??  Apparently Lincoln's Birthday will be celebrated in this fashion today at 2:12 p.m.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : February 12, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »

Oh dear, I wish I had known. I love to ring the church bells! Happy Birthday, Abe!
melissabeerworth
: 18

« #2 : February 13, 2009, 07:41:12 AM »

There is nothing like the sound of church bells.  Growing up, I lived near a church where the bells rang every hour on the hour.  That's how we knew when it was time to get home for dinner or if we were running late for school.  Memories!
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : February 13, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »

I should have given you a call, Rev Elizabeth.  Although I don't hear the church bells up where I live, I think it would have been nice.  I remember back years ago when there was a funeral, the church bells, at least at the Catholic church had a special toll that rang as the body was being brought to the church.  The Carillon that we have now, used to have a tape in it with a special program for funerals.  At Christmas, it would play Christmas Carols and every noon would notify Christians that it was noon.  In the old days when the Church bells rang at noon, farmers in the fields, or where ever people were, they would stop and say the Angelus.  Sad to say, I don't remember that prayer now, not even one word of it.

When I went up to the Fletcher Historical Society Meeting last month, Charlie Tinker mentioned that the clock in the Binghamville Church has to be wound manually, twice a week, I believe.  I don't know whether that clock chimes or not or whether they have a bell in that Church Tower.

Excuse the rambling, but maybe an occasional ringing of the church bells would bring to mind some thoughts of that Higher Power.

« : February 13, 2009, 08:48:19 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: