Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 09:26:56 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Kind Of Like The Oil Companies - These Vermont Maple Producers
« previous next »
: [1]
: Kind Of Like The Oil Companies - These Vermont Maple Producers  ( 3199 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 16, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »

High syrup prices not likely to drop - Weak maple syrup production in Quebec last year helped cause a sharp spike in the prices Vermont farmers get for their syrup, but the higher prices don't necessarily translate to higher profits for the state's producers.

Poor production due to weather in Quebec meant bulk buyers of syrup had less of the product than usual to purchase. Greater demand for less syrup led to price increases. A gallon of syrup sold for roughly $43 a year ago, and now goes for about $50, said Catherine Stevens, of the Vermont Maple Sugar Maker's Association.

Looks like The Vermont Maple Sugar Makers' Association along with the producers is taking advantage of the consumer.  Don't think I am going to feel sorry for them if Quebec has a good year and is able to sell to bulk buyers cheaper than Vermont producers.

Everybody is Greedy!!  Greedy!!  Greedy!!  Were we Vermonters always this way????  I don't think so.  In these economic times, I don't think I will be paying any $50 a gallon for Maple Syrup.

I will be more than happy to post the names of producers that have Maple Syrup for sale, but not at that exorbitant price.

« : February 16, 2009, 11:26:11 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #1 : February 16, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »

It wasn't the producers but the Packers that drove up the price. This fall there where packers that ran out of syrup and where out bidding the next guy to get any available syrup they could find. Last I had heard some of the huge packers where not able to get enough product to fill all of there orders.  At one point the packers where paying $4.25/lb (11lbs/gal). Most producers had already sold there syrup and did not get this big price. Any of them that held on to a few barrels made out big.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : February 16, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »

Dean, thanks for pointing out who is responsible.  I have received a number of notes from people who would not post on the forum who commented that they were selling or purchased their syrup last year for $35 a gallon and a few of them mentioned that maybe they would go up to $38 a gallon this year.

The gist of most of the notes was:  "The 'regular' Vermonters realize that they can price themselves out of their market."

I buy my own maple syrup from local producers here in town or Fletcher and some have been kind enough to even give me some, so these are not the type of people that will gouge, nor should they be hurt by bad publicity.

I receive e-mails from time to time asking me for a recommendation as to who they should buy some Maple Syrup from.  I always try to make sure that I recommend someone who will not take advantage of them.

Henry Raymond
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #3 : February 17, 2009, 07:48:19 AM »

Most if not all of the local producers, when selling Syrup by the gallon will have fair pricing. It was the bulk price (in 33 or 50gal barrels) that went way high this year. But many producers way shift to senting more syrup bulk this year and get the higher price and not have to  deal with canning it for smaller quantity sales. If you want a couple of gallons I would get in contact with your local sugar house and place your order early. When you are looking at $10 to $15/gallon more in a barrel you can't blame the makers for going for the better pay check.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: