Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:39:09 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Woodworking School Finds Home In Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: Woodworking School Finds Home In Fairfax  ( 2811 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 27, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »

My apologies to Lisa for the poor quality photo, however, I did not get a chance to go up to the Woodworking School and get some of my own yet.  The one below was scanned from the front page of The Messenger in the Monday, February 23, 2009 issue.

The fine art of furniture making:
Woodworking school finds home in Fairfax

By LISA M. BOUCHER
Messenger Correspondent

FAIRFAX—The lost art of fine furniture making in the time-honored traditional methods of dove tailed joints and working with hand tools is being resurrected here.

It is being taught at the Vermont Woodworking School, newly located in a 19th Century three-story barn in Fairfax—just a few miles from the village on Route 104 East.

"We had no windows and our (previous) location lacked the soul of our art," said co-founder Carina Driscoll. "We began dreaming about a big red barn in the green mountains of Vermont."
The school had been housed in a Colchester Industrial Park for about a year and with a lease renewal looming ahead, co-founders Driscoll, Bob Fletcher, and Blake Ewoldsen decided a more suitable atmosphere and space were needed.

The partners began working toward a move, Driscoll explained in a dedication speech at the Feb. 7 open house showcasing the 5,500-square-foot school.

With the help of member Burt Steen, the group was able to locate and acquire the "big red barn' to which they dreamed of moving their fledgling school. The barn was renovated to a new workshop, bench room, office space, lumber storage, and a finish room. The original beams were preserved in place to maintain the historical nature of the building.

Within the lower level of the refurbished barn ~ sporting a neat row of new double hung windows, are several workstations with full size plans of various pieces of furniture, ranging in style from Victorian era to something more modern.

Students draw their own plans for projects from photos of finished pieces in books.

"These are from museum pieces," said Bob Fletcher simultaneously pointing at a set of plans and an open book. He explained that the books don't have plans, but provide information on dimensions.

The school has a varying number of students who are either full or part time; there are five or six students who are in a more intensive program and there are also members who rent space for three to six months or as much as a year.

How long a student is in the program depends entirely on initial level and experience, as well
as what the student is expecting to achieve. Students currently receive a certificate of completion for their accomplishments. The school is working toward certification.

"In the '60s the art of woodworking was almost dead. We are coming out of that fast-and-furious with the plastic bean bags and throw away junk," said Fletcher. "I think people got sick of that and realized they wanted something that lasted. There are many people who enjoy woodworking as a hobby."

The school has a number of out-of-state students and has am onsite dormitory. Students may apply for a VSAC non-degree program grant. The furniture making curriculum, taught by master craftsman, Bob Fletcher are 12,24,36, or 48 weeks long.

Teaching staff at the school includes, Fletcher who has 35 years of experience and members of the Guild of Vermont Furniture Makers.

Carina Driscoll is also the owner of Anders Furniture of Vermont, the exclusive furniture maker for Anichini, Inc. Anichini headboards are made and upholstered in a space at the school.

The school plans to have a gallery open by summer to display the work of students.

For more information visit: http://www.vermontwoodworkingschool.com/Vermont_Woodworking_School/Home_.html or call 802-655-4201.
« : February 27, 2009, 09:35:31 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: