Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 08:28:24 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  GRAND CELEBRATION TO WELCOME NEW ORGAN AT UNITED CHURCH
« previous next »
: [1]
: GRAND CELEBRATION TO WELCOME NEW ORGAN AT UNITED CHURCH  ( 2250 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 25, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »

In 1963 a Baldwin Organ was purchased for the United Church.  Laura Hubbert was the organist and the new organ was a delight to be heard.

An electronic organ, it had vacuum tubes--this was pre-transistor days-- to  help create the sounds.  When a tube burned  out it took out all octaves of the same note below it.  For example, if the tube for middle "C" went out, we lost middle C, all C's in the base clef and pedals because they would have been lower.  The bulbs were interchangeable so we could have removed the lowest C bulb, put it in the middle C spot, put the burned out bulb in the lowest C, and that lowest C would then have become the only burned out note.   It served the church well for over 40 years, but it began to sound a bit tired and sometimes it would just decide to make unpleasant noises.

Thanks to the kindness of the Louise McArdle estate and to generous donors wishing to honor the memory of Laura Hubbert, a new Allen organ was purchased and is now in the church.  A modern version of the one it replaced, its rich sounds fill the church.  The new organ is digital thus it can more  accurately represent the sounds of the pipes of a pipe organ or the tones of a musical instrument.

Lorraine Wood, a student of Laura Hubbert, is the current organist at the United Church and is exploring all the many different sounds, rhythms and combinations thereof that the organ can produce.

A grand celebration is being planned to welcome the new organ.  On November 11 at 7 PM the choir will sing, a guest quartet will perform, and there will be other performances by local musicians.  Afterward, dessert will be served.  We invite the community to join us in this gala celebration of our new organ.  

For further information contact Rev. Elizabeth, 849-6588

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: