Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 08:51:04 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Walking The Rec Path In Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: Walking The Rec Path In Fairfax  ( 7970 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 06, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »

Last night I went down to take my usual walk on the Rec Path.  It was one of the few nights in the past week or so that I did not bother to bring my umbrella.  Met about 4 people who all greeted me with a cherry "Hello," even though there was only one that I knew.

I usually park my car just above the covered bridge and walk from there up to the cul de sac and then back down.  Lots of birds singing as you walk up through on this very well maintained blacktop path.  I notice that the park benches are now all chained to prevent whoever was throwing them in the river. 

Something new that I saw last night as I was nearing the intersection where there is a mowed path along the river.  I heard a whisk, whisk, whisk and saw the white tail of a deer bobbing up and down as it must have apparently noticed me and turned around and headed towards the river.  I have never seen a deer there.  It must have come up from the lower Hunt Street area as I am sure it would not have come from the Village area.

I don't believe I have ever seen a squirrel in the park.  Used to be a lot of them hanging around Orman Ovitt's place where I am sure they are anxiously awaiting their fall butternut Cache.  Used to see them crossing the Fletcher Road by the United Church, where I suspect they might have a home in one of the old sheds behind the apartment building/bakery.

If you want a relaxing place to walk, without worry of traffic, this is a great place.  There is a parking lot up on the hill at the main entrance, for those of you that don't have a problem walking the hill.  This is truly a wonderful addition to our little town.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : July 06, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »

We were there yesterday morning as well Henry.  A wonderful little surprise, as we had our two grandkids with us, was a Picture book's pages, laminated and staked on mini-posts along the path.  Now we started down near the bridge and worked our way back so we were in effect reading the book backwards as it's designed to start near the rec path beginning in the park.  Regardless, the Grandkids were excited to first find and then run to the next page to be read.  WHAT A GREAT IDEA - to mix mild exercises with reading and literature.  Apparently, it's something ongoing as we saw that a new book was coming soon!

For all the talk of what our community lacks - it certainly has it's share of good things and folks who ARE trying to make things better for the all age groups!  Kudos to whoever had the idea!
« : July 06, 2009, 10:45:58 AM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : July 06, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »

Carol Lizotte should be remembered as doing a tremendous amount of work on this - There were times when what she was trying to do was not well received.  I remember going down to vote, back when she was working on getting the town to back buying the land for the park.  She had placed some material in an area where you are not allowed to on voting day.  One individual here in town had her pick it up and gave her no other alternative, just move it out of there.  She sat in her car crying and I asked her if she was OK.  I told her I would go over and check with Marvin & Cathy Thayer to see if they minded her posting her posters on their Vegetable Stand.  Marvin & Cathy had no objection, so she did post her information there.  As a result, the town backed the purchase.  That was just the beginning.  Carol Lizotte overcame many obstacles with the help of a few dedicated individuals, until the park was finally completed.  I have nothing but fine words to say about Carol Lizotte and her dedication to the completion of the task.  Katrina has now taken up the challenge of continuing the work of utilizing the Recreation Park to the best advantage.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #3 : July 06, 2009, 11:10:09 AM »

Loctavious,

It's great to hear that your family enjoyed the Storywalk, although I suspect the book might have been more interesting if you started at the other end ;)

The original announcement can be found here:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=6247.0

The Rec Dept is fortunate to have been given the opportunity to do this.  Hopefully we can continue this into the future!

Thanks for the feedback!
-Trevor
« : July 06, 2009, 11:51:59 AM Henry »

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
cassyt
: 84

« #4 : July 06, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »

Henry there is deer down there most of time going thought our garden down back glad they like the green grass and not the plants yet.when Marvin went out this morning there were tracks in the garden by the house went thought by the barn that was a big one there are some baby's down back have not seen them this year but last year was down there working when a doe with 2 little ones come out and watch us for a few min.
« : July 06, 2009, 04:41:08 PM Henry »
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #5 : July 07, 2009, 05:19:32 AM »

Henry, I am glad that you have both discovered and enjoyed the rec path. I have been walking through that area since I came to Fairfax, and before it was an 'official' recreation area.  It was and remains, a beautiful habitat filled with birds and a wide variety of wild flowers, should you look closely.  I believe Gary Stewart mows that path along the river, and it is a joy to walk in the very early morning and listen to the  birds and watch the river.  One year I did see a bald eagle 'way down on the bend in the river.  It is certainly a wonderful part of our community, and the story walk is a grand idea!
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : July 07, 2009, 07:18:39 AM »

Karen McNall happened to be walking at the same time as I was last night when we saw the deer again in the same area.  Karen mentioned that maybe the Doe had some fawns close by.  Not sure just how big the fawns are this time of year, but there are paths through the high grass where the Doe apparently frequents.

Henry Raymond
edakrupp

« #7 : July 07, 2009, 07:24:03 AM »

I only wish it were longer, or completed a loop that was completely paved. Be nice to see a public pool and rec room too, but again I dream.
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #8 : July 07, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »

Rec room would happen WAY BEFORE a pool - we got rivers up here in these parts for that!  :) 

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

edakrupp

« #9 : July 07, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »

Just think warm water year round, swim lessons, heated indoor pool. Snow gently falling, gazing at the sledders, and snow ball fights from inside a little oasis of heat in the dead of winter. ahhhhh
Henry
Administrator

« #10 : July 07, 2009, 09:06:02 AM »

Oh My God Elisabeth, you are leaving yourself wide open for a rip snorting post from Special Ed on this one.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #11 : July 07, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »

She may not be aware of him yet.  You know, there is a house on River road that has a sizeable indoor pool.... perhaps it might be better to pursue an existing structure.  If not seek to purchase it - perhaps pay leasing fees?

edakrupp

« #12 : July 07, 2009, 09:46:35 AM »

Come now boys, Special Ed, cannot resist the idea of gorgeous young ladies laying around in bathing suits can he?
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #13 : July 07, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »

Thanks for mentioning Carol Lizotte, Henry. She did soooo much.
Miles Cahoon is another who deserves to be recognized.
I don't know how many rainy days I saw him working down there.
Also Bob Horr, running that bulldozer.
There were many other contributors as well (Vermont National Guard included).

The Storywalk is one of the best ideas I've seen.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
wwiihistory
: 56

« #14 : July 11, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »

Does anyone know of a good spot I can bring my dog around Fairfax to swim? By good spot I mean a sandy beach like area that gradually deepens...

I am getting my Saint Bernard used to swimming. Have been bringing him to Indian Brook but really no good gradual sloped areas.....seems to drop off fairly quickly.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: