Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:18:17 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Unfortunately - A Number Of Our Interstate Rest Areas
« previous next »
: [1]
: Unfortunately - A Number Of Our Interstate Rest Areas  ( 3564 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 16, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »

Photo courtesy of Jim & Lena Meunier who returned from Maine yesterday

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #1 : July 16, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »

I'm guessing other areas of this "rest area" will be used by weary, cross-legged travellers, sans the comfy seat! Will the state then pay for the clean up when it's trashed? Or just errect large fences? I guess it will depend on the lowest contract bid--the fence company or the clean-up company.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : July 18, 2009, 02:50:55 AM »

Henry always amazes me, what a wit!

That there picture is just plain Funny.

The rest of you all "posters" amaze me too.
mirjo's reply is hysterical.

( I am amused easily when bodily functions are mentioned)
David Shea
: 471

« #3 : July 21, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »

Wow... didn't the state close the rest areas during the Dean Administration?  Wasn't it found that closing them was a negative with regard to tourism?  Shortly thereafter the rest areas were opened again?

My family and I have done considerable traveling through VT, CT , MA, NH & NY.  During our travels in Vermont we have often had to stop at exits on the interstate to use a rest room for our children our ourselves,  when we are not near a rest stop.  On several occasions we have stopped at a store to use the bathroom only to be told that it is not public.  At this point we rush outside go to the dumpster area, back of the store etc and find a place for our kids to go. Nice story huh?  I have come to expect this so am not surprised anymore.  I have also created a mental Rolodex for businesses that will not let me use the restroom and refuse to give them any business. 

Most recently we were in NH.  We got off the Highway at the "Flume Gorge", the rest rooms were clean and OPEN.  The inside was well lit and staffed.  There was a restaurant, gift shop, free movie featuring the White Mountains, brochures detailing NH attractions.  The most amazing thing was that they were selling tickets for the Flume Gorge attraction.  Payments were taken with cash or credit.  The rest stop was not only a place to releave ourselves but a place to tour and spend money.  Nice place.  We saw the attraction hiked the two miles and had a nice time looking at the natural wonder.

New York also has figured out the rest area thing.  Areas south of Albany have full service gas stations complete with a vast array of fast food.

Both of these states also have toll booths.

If I were a member of the Vermont Department of tourism, I would be concerned about the shift in tourism to other states.  We just finished a week in NH on Vacation.  I can tell you that NH is very nice.  Great fishing, excellent attractions, great food, beautiful White Mountains, Ocean, Lakes, etc  The rest areas are also open.

I will send a picture to Henry and maybe he will post it for me in this message.  Picture is of the NH rest stop exit 34 Fraconia Notch.

« : July 21, 2009, 07:36:46 AM Henry »
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : July 21, 2009, 07:37:18 AM »

I added your photos to your post Dave - Thanks

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: