Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:19:01 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Work Being Done On The Museum
« previous next »
: [1]
: Work Being Done On The Museum  ( 3104 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 22, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »

I am sure that many of you have noticed that our Fairfax Historical Society Museum is in need of a lot of work.  The paint is peeling, some clapboards are rotting and some sills are rotting, the roof is leaking along with a number of other things.  We have gotten an estimate and will be using what funds we have, leaving enough to pay electricity and our post office box through the winter until our next Pie & Ice Cream Social.

From time to time, people have left money to the Fairfax Historical Society when they die and that has been very helpful.  We also have had some generous benefactors here in town who simply walk up to Mike Cain and hand him a check.  These things are all greatly appreciated.

Our Fairfax Historical Society Museum dates back to 1807, I believe (You may see another I stand corrected note soon).  It was the original Town Hall as well as a one room school at one time.  In later years it was the Casket Show Room for The Hayes-Rich Funeral Home.  There are still marks where the original voting booths were located on the back wall of the building.  We have many historical items of interest in the building and are very fortunate to have a dedicated Fairfax Historical Society President like Mike Cain who watches over the building all year long.

I know these are tough times for many, but just in case anybody is looking for a good tax exemption feel free to contact Mike Cain if you wish to contribute something to help maintain our Fairfax Historical Society Museum.  We did ask the Selectboard a number of years ago for $1,000.00 and were given it through a vote on Town Meeting Day.  I don't know how much that effects each taxpayer in town, but I am thinking I will ask the other trustees what they think about doing that again this coming year. 

We are a thrifty group and $1,000.00 along with the money we get from our yearly Pie & Ice Cream Social would perhaps make us a little more comfortable.
« : July 22, 2009, 11:45:00 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #1 : July 22, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »

Henry,

Just to clarify the Historical Museum was never a casket showroom for the "A.W. Rich Funeral Home".  It was however, a casket showroom for the Hayes-Rich Funeral Home before donation of the building to the historical society by my parents Lucien and Carol Hayes and before the sale of the business to John Workman in 1998. 
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : July 22, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

Thanks Justin,

Made the correction in my initial post.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: