Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:01:00 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Ralph McNall Speaks For St. Albans Coop Tonight On Channel 44
« previous next »
: [1]
: Ralph McNall Speaks For St. Albans Coop Tonight On Channel 44  ( 2827 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 27, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »

Dairy Farmers: A Plan to Stabilize Milk Prices

Some dairy farmers in St. Albans are pushing their local co-op to endorse a program making farmers responsible for their own milk.

It's known as the Dairy Price Stabilization Program.

Many family farmers took the plan to the board of the directors, at the St. Albans Co-op Monday morning.

Under it, a dairy farmer would produce only enough milk there's a market for...and if the market calls for less, the farmer would have to reduce output.

Family Farmer Clement Gervais explains:

"That base will be looked at every quarter, and if the market is calling for an increase in it, then you'll be allowed to increase your production for that period.  But, like right now, if there's too much milk out there, they'll ask for a decrease in the market, and if you don't follow within those guidelines you'll be charged a penalty and that penalty will be dispersed back into the members that stayed within the production limit," Gervais said.

Gervais says the plan is promoted by the Holstein Association USA, Dairy Farmers Working Together, and Milk Producers Council.  For a complete description on the plan, click here.

President of the Co-op, Ralph McNall says a final decision has not been made. 

"It's probably as good as any that has been brought forth, to me at least, however, there is some questions about it, as there is with other plans," McNall said.

McNall says he could know more information on August 10.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: