Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:40:27 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  School Begins 1 Month From Today - September 2, 2009
« previous next »
: [1]
: School Begins 1 Month From Today - September 2, 2009  ( 4764 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 02, 2009, 07:49:50 AM »

Seems like just yesterday that Graduation 2009 happened and now we are headed for 2010.  We will have a whole new group of Seniors and of course a whole new group of Kindergarten & First Graders.

I believe we have some old 8mm films of our 3 girls on their first day of school taking the bus.  I think Maryann was out on the front steps for one of the girls and had a few false starts on the film as she thought the bus was coming over the knoll and it was another vehicle.

When I wrote down 2010 above, it brought to mind how concerned everybody was when the year 1999 ended and 2000 began.  There were all kinds of stories and worries that these little first graders entering school now will read about and think, how foolish we old timers were.

As far as those people who had their tombstones engraved with the first two numbers of the year of their death as 19 and ended up living past the 1900s, don't know how the engravers did resolve that.  Pretty hard to make a 20 our of a 19.

There is one thing about it, I feel very fortunate that I went to school when I did - If I look at all that has happened since I started school back in 1939 - That is all stuff kids have to study today that I didn't.

One month from today, The Big Yellow Buses will be on the road again!!!

Henry Raymond
dearon
: 233

« #1 : August 02, 2009, 08:34:52 AM »

Well at least the children have some time to go to the Champlain Valley Fair before heading off to school:)
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : August 02, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »

Champlain Valley Fair - August 29 - September 7

http://cvexpo.org/2007Fair.aspx

Henry Raymond
Sue W.
: 167

« #3 : August 02, 2009, 08:53:34 AM »

I had almost forgotten about all of the concerns when 1999 was drawing to a close.  Our oldest graduated from high school in 99, and our youngest will graduate this year!  I am glad the start of the school year has been delayed a bit.  At work ,we pass out free admissions the the Champlain Valley Fair to children that have read at least 3 books during the summer, and in years past, school was already in session so they were not able to take advantage of the festivities on the specific day of the pass.  Maybe we'll get a nice stretch of summer weather to go along with it!
MikeF9
: 1994

« #4 : August 02, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »

School has not been delayed this year. It always starts the Wednesday before Labor Day. Labor Day is always the first Monday in September. Sometimes it's Sept. 1st. This year it's the 7th. All depends on how the calendar runs. It does start later, I suppose. But the Fair is always the week before Labor Day. So the kids have 4 days of the Fair-Sat., Sun., Mon., Tues- before school on Wed..

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator

« #5 : August 02, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »

Not sure how many years it has been this way Mike, but there was a time when it began after Labor Day.  I know of many young kids that used to go down for 4-H and stay all week with their cattle.  I don't know what they do now with school starting during the week of the Fair.

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #6 : August 02, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »

I'm not sure when it changed over. I'm thinking '95 or after. I remember when Larry Leach was head custodian, he, Tim Collins, and I went in on one Labor Day and did a once-over, making sure everything was just right for Tuesday.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: