Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:20:20 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Walter Cronkite
« previous next »
: [1]
: Walter Cronkite  ( 3762 )
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« : July 18, 2009, 03:50:42 AM »

NEW YORK -- A CBS executive says retired CBS anchorman Walter Cronkite,
"the most trusted man in America," has died at his home in New York. He was

CBS vice president Linda Mason says Cronkite died at 7:42 p.m. after a long
illness with his family by his side.

He was the face of CBS News from 1962 to 1981, when stories ranged from the
Kennedy assassination to Watergate and the Iranian hostage crisis.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get news up here late.

Walter Cronkite was and IS an American Institution.
His likeness ought to be on Mount Rushmore and / or a monetary unit. (coin or dollar)
edakrupp

« #1 : July 29, 2009, 07:51:16 AM »

My grandfather was Jimmy Powers who covered the fights at Madison Square garden. He worked with Walter Cronkite when he was a'young fella'.

Jimmy wrote a colum for the Daily news called the Power House that wrote about the Yankees. He once wrote that Lou Gehrig was going to die, and would infect the rest of the team. That cost him a million dollars in a law suit! But on the good side he was one of the first influential sports broad casters that backed and supported 'people of color' playing baseball.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: