Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:17:33 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Could This Be The Old Sheldon Pulp Mill??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Could This Be The Old Sheldon Pulp Mill??  ( 3754 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 17, 2009, 07:24:20 AM »

An early morning fire yesterday, caused extensive damage to a major Franklin County employer.  It happened at the RockTenn Missisquoi Mill in Sheldon.

Don't know if any of you ever took a tour through a pulp mill where they make paper, but when I saw the story about RockTenn Missisquoi Mill in Sheldon, I remembered taking a tour through the old Sheldon Pulp Mill.  They may not allow tours through there now either due to safety precautions as I remember what looked like some rather dangerous places in there.  I actually remember reading in the newspaper one time about an employee falling into one of those large vats of pulp.  This was many, many years ago when I went there, but can still see that huge tank of pulp below me being mixed around.  There are still about 150 people that work there, so it is a pretty good employer.

The story of the fire was on the WPTZ TV Station and if you click on the following link you can read it:

Henry Raymond
treebeard34
: 103

« #1 : August 17, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »

Hey Henry that was actually my uncle that fell in years ago.  I actually worked there for about 5 years in the late 90's when Boise Cascade owned it. the money was fantastic for a 24 yr old,  but the job was not so fantastic, RockTenn   bought it. and let a lot of people go and kept those they did by seniority, probably the best thing that ever happened to me as it made me realize that is deffinatly not what i wanted to do for the rest of my life.. I realized after working there that there is a lot more to a job than the money you make. I still have 2 brothers who work there both of them for well over 30 yrs so it has treated them well. and it has been a very steady company for years. a lot of people have made very good lives because of the mill, and hopefully this fired did not do too much damage. I would be a great loss to the Northeast.

Mark Teague
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : August 17, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »

Truly a small world Mark - Our kids are very smart now-a-days, but actually wonder how many actually know how paper is made.  I believe that they gave us samples of some 8 1/2 x 11 craft paper and we ended up the day stopping at a camp grounds for a picnic somewhere between Sheldon & St. Albans.  I had some relatives that worked there also and had for years.

Henry Raymond
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #3 : August 17, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »

My dad worked there from college to retirement. But talked me out of working there when I graduated high school. I did do some work there when I was doing HVAC work, it was in the summer and it was 105 degrees and 100% humidity in the plant. Real glad I didn't go to work there very very hot in the summer.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: