Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 06:04:30 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Picture of the Day 9/22/09 and Blog- Old Fairfax Sayings
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picture of the Day 9/22/09 and Blog- Old Fairfax Sayings  ( 8093 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : September 21, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »

September 22, 2009
Picture of the Day

At the Champlain Valley Fair, Steve's Coffee Shop has an electric train set that circles above the front counter.

OLD FAIRFAX SAYINGS
I was talking with a longtime Fairfax resident Monday, and she mentioned that the young people today do not know of some of the old sayings people used to use concerning Fairfax.
Such as...............
"I am going to run downstreet to get something." Where are you going? You are heading into the center of the village where the post office, Parsons' Store(or Simon's Store), and the barber shop used to be.
"I need to go to the city and run a few errands." Again, where are you going? St. Albans. Very rarely did you go to Burlington.
And nowadays, if you say, Want to go shopping?, more than likely, you may head to Williston.
"Down in the Pine Woods." Down in back of the school, where at one time, there were no houses, or sewer plant, just trees.
Of course, before 1998, and the new elementary was added, you had the Old Gym and the New Gym. The Old Gym in the old end, and the New Gym in the High School end. Now we have the Elementary Gym, Middle School Gym(old), and High School Gym(new).
"Up on the Plains" was the area starting at Fairfax Commons, and ending at the hill before Fairfax Falls.
The Old Parade Grounds was the corn field on the left as you get onto McNall Road, or as we used to call it, Georgia Mountain Road/Georgia Hill Road depending on your preference.
And of course, across from the Old Parade Grounds is the Old McNall Field where they used to play football.
The empty building on the corner of 104/128 will forever be known as Ramsay's Garage.
Before Fairfax switched to 9-1-1 services, and all the roads had to be re-named, Dad always refered to Woodward Road as The Other End of Huntville.
The Old Parish Center is where St. Luke's is now.
Reggie Broe always told stories about hanging out at Andrew King's Old Place. That's where Ross's is now.
Some annual events that used to take place in town were: The Country Fair, The Firemen's Lawn Party, and the Harvest Supper.
Trouble is, you get started, it's hard to stop.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : September 22, 2009, 07:45:28 AM »

Its also interesting to listen to our Fairfax Road Crew and their Road Names - They don't match our Town Map, but they sure know the location

Henry Raymond
msm
: 211

« #2 : September 22, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »

How about  ' Rubber Hill "  ?

Mike M
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : September 22, 2009, 08:40:18 AM »

I have heard mention of that, but nobody ever told me where it was - Anybody know the location - Is it a development now??

Henry Raymond
7F5
: 44

« #4 : September 22, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »

If I remember correctly, the area of Brewster Rd., Indian Head Rd., which is off from Chaffee Rd. was known as Rubber Hill.
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #5 : September 22, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »

How about  ' Rubber Hill "  ?

Mike M

Beat me to it!

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
treebeard34
: 103

« #6 : September 22, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »

Many many secrets are buried on rubber hill

Mark Teague
trussell
: 870

« #7 : September 22, 2009, 04:45:04 PM »

And to think, some people who now live there are probably reading this and wondering.... :D

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Suzy
: 429

« #8 : September 23, 2009, 11:08:07 AM »

LOL!
:D
: [1]  
« previous next »
: