Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:29:57 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  A little Bit of BFA St.Albans rubs off on BFA Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: A little Bit of BFA St.Albans rubs off on BFA Fairfax  ( 7282 )
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« : October 02, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »

My daughter told me that either earlier this week or the end of last week, there was some sort of Law Enforcement 'Sting' at BFA Fairfax.  The story went that there were several undercover agents/officers walking around BFA scoping out the drug scene in the school and they came back a few days later and went looking int he places they discovered previously to be the most likely to find it.  My daughter also heard yesterday that there was potentially going to be one officer and canine unit taking up residence at BFA Fairfax.
       Our discussion first revolved around how she felt about that.  She thought it was good in a sense because she herself had seen more than once a stupid kid or two who'd bring stuff to school to peddle or use supposedly.  She said that the stupidity and blatant foolishness of some of these kids is no doubt a contributing factor in her eyes to why these acts have permeated over from BFA St. Albans.
        We then put in the context of searches without reason or just cause and how seeing it's an educational institution and open to the public, that there's some sort of Privacy Waiver violation codes.  Though she was quick to point out that there's no such thing as privacy in a public place - yet names and details about students are withheld to protect he privacy of the students.

We had some good pro and con discussions and it rested on "if it keeps students sober in school and drugs out of it - then it's a positive and good thing.
« : October 02, 2009, 12:14:58 PM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : October 02, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »

Although some people might, I have no problem with this - There certainly is no such thing as privacy in a public place - They do keep the names private which is also OK with me.  There is no need of making it easy to bring drugs into school.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : October 02, 2009, 12:37:21 PM »

I have just received the following note from an employee of BFA:

"Hi Henry,
I saw the post about things at the school. This information is totally incorrect. Since I work here, I can say that.  Just thought you might like to know that. Not sure how things get on your posts, if you filter them or not. Thanks"

Items are posted by registered members of the forum.  I do screen for information that is derogatory to members of the community.  In regards to this information, there are members of the school board that can post a rebuttal of this information, if it isn't true.  Scott Lang, when he was principal used to do that.  Peggy Stewart, School Board Chair also does that.  If the present school principal wants to send me an email  vtgrandpa@myfairpoint.net  I will post his response.

Henry Raymond
BFA Principal Clark
: 18

« #3 : October 05, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »

Henry

Thanks for a providing a great site for people to share their points of view and local stories.  I enjoyed reading the October 2 post by Loctavious.  I am encouraged when I hear about high school students communicating with their parents; I commend this parent and her daughter for having an open dialogue about an issue that is clearly important to the young lady. 

According to the 2007 Vermont Youth Risk Behavior Survey, which was administered in February 2007 (the data for the 2009 VTYRBS should be available soon), an anonymous and confidential survey given to all high school students in Vermont; 21% of seniors, 27% of juniors, 36% of sophomores, and 20% of freshman at BFA Fairfax High School were offered, sold, or given an illegal drug on school property during the past 12 months.   

While the student’s information in this case suffered some from the “Telephone Game Effect” (the game that starts with one statement, is passed through a group of people, and comes out completely different by the time it gets to the last person), the Fairfax Community can rest assured that I am steadfast in ensuring an educational environment that is both safe and respectful for all students at BFA.  I believe that students will sometimes make poor choices and break school rules.  In these cases being redirected by a school official is an important learning opportunity for the student   If a student breaks the law I believe that it is important for the student to understand the consequences of their behavior and actions, in these cases I will work with the Franklin County Sheriffs Department as well as the Vermont State Police to address these illegal behaviors if they occur at the high school.   

I thank Loctavious, her daughter, and Henry for their support in this hypothetical scenario and again affirm my commitment to a safe and respectful school environment in which all students become informed literate critical thinkers who demonstrate responsible social and civic behaviors.
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : October 06, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum BFA Principal Clark - I look forward to your responding to questions that come up from time to time about BFA.  Scott Lang was very helpful in clarifying some of the issues that came up as I am sure you will be.  I will try to get in to meet you one of these days and if you don't mind might even have my camera with me so I can put up your photo, so others like me will know who you are should we see you around.  I do have one question for you as it was not quite clear to me after reading your response.

Will BFA Fairfax be using any Drug Sniffing Dogs??

Henry Raymond
Cat

« #5 : October 07, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »

A couple of high school students told me last week that the police & dogs were there & my daughter told me her & a friend saw a police officer also.
« : October 08, 2009, 01:38:43 PM Cat »
BFA Principal Clark
: 18

« #6 : October 08, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »

Henry
Let me reiterate I am committed to ensuring an educational environment that is both safe and respectful for all students

As an administrator committed to ensuring a safe and respectful educational environment for all students I would never rule out anything that would help me achieve this goal.  That being said I strongly believe that successful vibrant schools operate under a shared leadership model, with active community involvement.  In the three and a half months since becoming principal I have held 4 community forums that focused on identifying and articulating the values and beliefs of the BFA Fairfax Community (Please see the Principal’s Corner of BFA website at http://www.bfafairfax.com/ for more information).  If I were considering a substantial change in programs or procedures at BFA Fairfax High School I would work with the superintendent and the school board to implement those changes as well as invite the community’s input.

Finally information indicating that there were dogs of any type in the school is inaccurate.  There has never been a dog in BFA Fairfax while I have been the principal.

If members of the community have comments, questions, or concerns for me please feel free to contact me directly any time at mclark@bfafairfax.com or 849-6711.
Henry
Administrator

« #7 : October 08, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »

Finally information indicating that there were dogs of any type in the school is inaccurate.  There has never been a dog in BFA Fairfax while I have been the principal.

Thanks Mike - I hope you will bear with this Old Vermonter - What I was looking for was a direct answer to that question about the dogs.  Your last answer makes it quite clear.

Once again, I do appreciate your registering on the forum and taking the time to answer questions that are on people's minds.  I do have a link to The BFA Web Site on my index page if you click on Home at the top of this page.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #8 : October 11, 2009, 03:13:04 AM »

What an OUTSTANDING PROFESSIONAL educator you have in Fairfax.

I am just glad there was no internet when I was school.........whew!

Keep up the dialogue BFA Principal.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: