Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:28:44 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Photo Blog 1/16/10 Top of Main Street Early 1900's
« previous next »
: [1]
: Photo Blog 1/16/10 Top of Main Street Early 1900's  ( 4962 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : January 15, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »

Saturday January 16, 2010
Photo Blog

TOP OF MAIN STREET-EARLY 1900'S

Original photo

Marty Hicks' funeral and furniture business.

Where the entrance to Cliff Ross's place is now.

Marty Hicks owned the funeral business in town in the early 1900's. The building was located where our museum is today. It eventually was turned into the fire station. Back in those days, the undertakers made their own caskets, or at least Marty did. You didn't have a warehouse where caskets are stored. I am guessing they made some pretty nice caskets here in town, because they also made furniture. We have a sign in the museum that says, "M.L. Hicks for Fine Furniture and Rugs. Fairfax, Vermont". You also can see that Cliff Ross's building was not there, because across the street is all grass.
Interesting to see all the little things that this picture holds.
The old saying is true, a picture can say a thousand words.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
trussell
: 870

« #1 : January 15, 2010, 11:42:49 PM »

Wow, zoning would never allow a sign that size now! lol. Great photos Mike! Thanks for sharing!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #2 : January 17, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »

Thanks for putting these old photos out for everyone to see. They're so much fun to look at. My how times have changed!
Suzy
: 429

« #3 : January 18, 2010, 01:06:14 PM »

They are amazingly beautiful!  And such a treat to see!  Thanks for sharing Mike!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: