Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 11:11:46 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Segways in St. Albans
« previous next »
: [1]
: Segways in St. Albans  ( 9266 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : October 18, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »

PRESS RELEASE
St. Albans Police Department

Police Officers began training today on their newest patrol vehicle. The new patrol vehicle is a Segway™ PT which was acquired through an Edward Byrne Justice Assistance Grant that was awarded to the St. Albans Police Department on 08-26-10, with no cost to St. Albans residents. The Police Segway™ PT is a two-wheeled, self-balancing, electric-powered transportation device that is able to turn in place and is designed to transport a single individual.

The  Segway™ PT is a silent, electric vehicle powered by  rechargeable Lithium-lon batteries. The electricity use to recharge the batteries is estimated at approximately $ .01 (penny) per mile to operate. It may be operated indoors or out and travels up to seventeen miles per hour. More then 1,000 Police Departments worldwide have added the Segway™ PT to their arsenal of alternative patrol vehicles.

The Segway™ PT was acquired as an environmentally friendly, alternative patrol device that is highly maneuverable and fits into the Departments overall energy savings strategy; to deliver efficient and effective patrol services to the citizens of St. Albans.

The  Segway™ PT joins the Department’s GEM battery-electric car that went into service in July 2009. The GEM vehicle is one of three that was donated to BFA, St. Albans. Two are still in use at the Collins Pearly Sports Complex every day.
In its new lease on life and service to the community the GEM vehicle is used for Parks Patrol, Parking Enforcement, Special Events and School Campus Patrol in the prevention and detection of illicit drug and property crime activities in and around our community. The GEM vehicle is also nearly silent, ecologically friendly and used to assist the City Police Department in its efforts to conserve fuel without compromising patrol presence.

Additionally, the City Police and Fire Department (Public Safety Facility) was awarded an Efficiency Vermont grant on 07-13-10, in the amount of $ 5,329.75. That grant funded the replacement of outdated, high energy consumption light switches and fixtures throughout the Police and Fire Complex at 30 Lower Welden Street.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
7F24
: 253

« #1 : October 18, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »

Bicycles are better...quieter, faster, and they help improve the health of the officers riding them.  These vehicles did come at a cost to all federal taxpayers.
David Shea
: 471

« #2 : October 18, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »

More pork.  My grandchildren will pay the cost of this "FREE" toy.
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #3 : October 19, 2010, 06:06:27 AM »

Nothing is free in life.
cedarman
: 370

« #4 : October 19, 2010, 08:02:02 AM »

I can't imagine the segway would be very useful for much more than patroling the school, and cruising up and down main street issuing parking tickets.  Even then, I'm not sure how well Segways handle un-even sidewalks.

I much concur with many others that this seems like a wasteful alternative, when multiple high quality all terrain bicycles could have been purchased for far less money. While bikes may not have turn in place capability (which is never really needed), they are not limited in the places they can go like a segway IS. 

Leave the segways to the guys in uniforms at the shopping malls, and well maintained las vegas sidewalks, etc.
ASDuling
: 75

« #5 : October 19, 2010, 08:58:31 AM »

St. Albans already has officers on bikes which makes me wonder why they need the Segways in the first place. And even if they are "free" to the city, how will they be maintained or repaired?
khort
: 149

« #6 : October 19, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »

Hope they have snow tires!
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #7 : October 19, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »

"It will make us more green" Ummmmmmm last I checked they have to be charged which requires power....Bicycles don't though another example of wastefull spending in my opinion more of that stimulus money put to good use HAHA.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
mirjo
: 785

« #8 : October 20, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »

It  appears that government at any level can't be trusted to make common sense decisions. The problem with Federal Funds is that it always comes with ridiculous strings attached. The worst being (whatever) the money is for, it needs to be used right here, right now.

Did anyone else notice how many times 104 was painted last year? Have you ever seen any company paint the lines on a road, BEFORE they're done with the job? 104 was painted after every layer of asphalt!!That's another thing--it was several layers, and it took no time at all, including all the ditching! Rte 104N was in desperate need, but it surely had to be stimulus funds for that much paint and asphalt to be put down on a 10 mile stretch!

I get the concept of the stimulus, but temporary construction jobs are only putting people back in the work force temporarily. W/O such stringent policies attached, states (I think), would be able to make better use of what's coming in. All the $$ spent painting Rte 104 multiple times last year for no reason, I'm sure could have been put to better use, perhaps on a different project this year to pay other people? Or even last year?

I don't know. I'm not a financial expect, a Rhodes Scholar, or member of Mensa,  but it seems to me that all these smart people in high places aren't doing anything too intelligent, except fill their own pockets with cash and run this country aground. :P

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #9 : October 26, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »

Vermont Delegation: New Funding Bolsters St. Albans Streetscapes Project

U.S. Senators Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), and U.S. Representative Peter Welch (D-Vt.) Tuesday announced that St. Albans has been awarded a $125,000 federal grant for its ongoing streetscapes project. 

The grant, awarded by the Department of Transportation, will fund continued downtown improvements.

In FY2009, Welch secured $380,000 in funding for sidewalk, streetlight, signage and aesthetic upgrades to Main Street and Taylor Park as part of a comprehensive, local economic revitalization project, known as the streetscapes project.  The project will increase accessibility and safety in an historic and economically vital corridor of the city.

The multi-phased project includes the comprehensive redesign of Main Street sidewalks; replacement of street lights, traffic signal arms, and traffic lights;  replacement of street trees to better manage storm water; and the construction of signage.  Street and traffic lights will be replaced with energy efficient LED lights. 

“This will help St. Albans advance its vision for strengthening its historic downtown.  Streetscape projects like this are about more than just making our downtowns more attractive.  They are about leveraging new economic development and making housing and services more accessible to residents and visitors,” said Leahy.

“I am pleased that the city has won this federal investment in its historic downtown,” said Sanders.  “This funding will not only help St. Albans preserve its downtown environment, it will help preserve and sustain the natural environment, including implementing better ways to deal with storm water runoff and using innovative energy-efficient, energy-saving LED lighting in public spaces.”

“It is great news the City of St. Albans continues to receive federal support for this important downtown project.  The streetscapes redevelopment will help the City continue to create jobs, improve its economic development, save energy, and preserve its unique historic character,” said Welch.  “In working with city officials over the years on this critical project, it is clear the people of St. Albans recognize the incredible value to the community of improving their downtown region.”

St. Albans City Mayor Marty Manahan said, “This project is a key component our downtown redevelopment plans and our efforts to help the City improve on its economic development potential.”

“Our streetscapes project is about increasing the curb appeal of Main Street.  The City has great design and character and this project helps highlight those assets,” added St. Albans City Manager Dominic Cloud.

Delegation Contacts:  David Carle (w/Leahy), 202-224-3693
Mike Briggs (w/Sanders), 202-224-5141
Andrew Savage (w/Welch), 202-225-4115

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
David Shea
: 471

« #10 : October 27, 2010, 07:35:29 AM »

Wow... What great success for our elected career politicians!

If only our representative could expedite the development process for Walmart.  Just imagine the $$$ that would stay in Franklin County vs being exported to Williston.

I personally only go to St. Albans to shop at Sticks and Stuff and 1/2 of my groceries.  Everything else... greater Chittenden County.

The new street lights & Segway's sure will look nice as we drive right past St. Albans
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #11 : October 27, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »

Unfortunately David is right about the challenges of reasons to drive to St. Albans to shop.  I am a huge fan of a Walmart going to St. Albans and I would do more shopping in that direction instead of Essex and Williston. 

For those stores that don't want the Walmart in St. Albans because they are worried about loss of business, I don't shop at your stores now because I would still have to go to Williston to get my shopping completed.  HOWEVER, if you bring in Walmart I could do my shopping there and just might start shopping at your store as well.  Instead I go in the other direction and you get none of my money.  Anchor stores are a great source for tax revenue, employing locals, and generating traffic into your area.

Can we get them to build a Walmart in Fairfax? :-) 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
MikeF9
: 1994

« #12 : October 27, 2010, 12:27:10 PM »

WHY WAL-MART??
Why not Target, or K-Mart, or something else?
Instead of renting uniforms, the school gave the custodial staff $100 each to buy pants of their choosing-Carharts, blue jeans, whatever. I went to K-Mart, and bought 7 pair of pants for less than $75. Levis, Wranglers, Route 66.
We go to Williston, too. But I go to Best Buy, and Margie goes to Bed, Bath, and Beyond. She refuses to go to Wally World. When I go in, I get really overwhelmed by the place and ALL THE PEOPLE. I rarely find something that I just have to have.
One of these days, I'd like to go over to Plattsburgh to the Target store over there.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #13 : October 27, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »

I refuse to shop at Walmart too.  I've read about their business practices, and discriminatory policies towards women employees.  A Walmart in Fairfax would be a real blight upon the town.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #14 : October 28, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »

Walmart or Kmart- In general a real department store in St. Albans would make me a happy camper! 

FYI - I was kidding about Fairfax.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: