Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 17, 2024, 01:42:21 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Some Nice Houses Out On The Back Roads
« previous next »
: [1]
: Some Nice Houses Out On The Back Roads  ( 4715 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 29, 2010, 08:15:14 AM »

Last night Mary Kay and I took a ride down to Nan's and got a cree mee.  We took the long way home and went up Buck Hollow Road - Went by Maryann's Old Homestead at the foot of Buck Hill.  Mary Kay was asking me where Adolph & Kay's old sugar house used to be, but I only started going out with Maryann about a year before they sold the farm.  Will have to check with the Collins or Ovitts, as I am sure they will remember.

We then drove over Woodward Road and went by a little house that always used to have a rocking chair on the porch for many years.  I believe one of the Gaudette's lived there.  Further on down the road we saw this beautiful new Log Home out in the meadow.  Never thought of it when we went by, but I will bet that may be Almon & Dot Woodward's new home.  Sure looks beautiful.

We saw lots of for sale signs as we turned up Tabor Hill Road, then turned on Wilkins Road.  We were fortunate that there were few cars on the road and Mary Kay only had to stop once to let a car pass us so we could sight see.  Mary Kay knew where quite a few people lived out that way, but I know very few names out that way.

Made for a pleasant evening - Thanks Mary Kay

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : August 29, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »

It was my pleasure Daddy!  We will have to take another exploration in a different direction next time (of course with a creemee in hand!)  What beautiful houses that have been built over the years since I have travelled some of these roads.

We stopped at the end of John Rainville's Driveway and I rolled down Dad's window and pointed at the deer just grazing on his yard.  What a beautiful stone wall he has all around his property!
« : August 29, 2010, 06:54:48 PM mkr »

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
al brodeur
: 216

« #2 : August 29, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »

Henry, the sugar house was on the right comining up the hill like on the second step
you went in the driveway and turned to the left to the sugarhouse
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : August 29, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »

Thanks Al,  I thought it was on the left going down the hill.  There appears to be a road where I thought it was, however there is also a road now on the other side also.  Their sugarhouse is now behind the barn on the lower side away from the road.

Henry Raymond
al brodeur
: 216

« #4 : November 08, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »

Henry,
they used to sugar on both sides of the road and in the mid 50's  a large section  (on the right going down the hill) was logged off it was in rough country as in some places the trucks were pulled in and out
Dick Brown
: 414

« #5 : November 08, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »

Henry...." Back in the day " some nice bucks ( big racks & large size ) were taken out of Adolph & Kay Hoben's sugar woods from both sides of the road , I believe. The story was that  rough area made for difficult hunting and " the big ones " would go in there for the season. Ormon probably knows something about the number of big deer taken out of that area. 
: [1]  
« previous next »
: