Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:49:04 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Watch Out For Scam Donations To Japan
« previous next »
: [1]
: Watch Out For Scam Donations To Japan  ( 2258 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 16, 2011, 07:43:32 AM »

I haven't gotten any phone calls yet, but am sure I will - Here are a few tips:

In the wake of the disasters in Japan, there are many of us in the Champlain Valley who want to help out by making donations. But how do you know your money is actually going to help?

It's hard to imagine, but there are people running scams right now that claim to be helping those in Japan but instead are taking your money.

The best way to protect yourself is give only to established charities you know of such as the Red Cross.

If you haven't heard of an organization, do your research. Ask questions like what percentage of your money will actually go to disaster relief, you may be surprised. For example, when you give a dollar to the Red Cross 91 cents goes directly to the disaster fund with the rest going to administrative costs.

The most secure way to give money is with a good, old-fashioned check. Cash can be misused and credit card numbers can be stolen.

For more information, click on the link below:

http://www.fox44now.com/Global/story.asp?S=14258004

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: