Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:00:49 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Town Road Crew Designs & Builds Its Own Asphalt Hot Box
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Town Road Crew Designs & Builds Its Own Asphalt Hot Box  ( 5967 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 29, 2011, 10:00:15 AM »

Don Pigeon, Fairfax Road Crew Foreman had been concerned about his ability to fill pot holes with asphalt. In order to do this, the temperature had to be at least 70 degrees and during this time when the pot holes appear and need to be patched, those 70 degree days are few and far between. The pot holes filled with the cold asphalt mixture would not last.  There is factory made equipment to heat the asphalt to 70 degrees, but in order to purchase it, it would be in the vicinity of $17,000. Don had some scrap metal out back of the Town Garage which he sold to pay for the materials for the new self designed Asphalt Hot Box, so the Town of Fairfax now has a new Asphalt Hot Box at no cost or budget expense. This is just one of the many things these guys do to save the town money. I thought it would be something I would try to make our town residents aware of, so these photos, taken by Randy Devine will give you some explanation of what they did.  I believe their next project is building a dump body for a new truck they are getting rather than going out and purchasing one.

« : April 29, 2011, 10:03:55 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : April 29, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »

Wow! Great job!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : April 29, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

Henry    Thanks for posting the info about the new Asphalt Hot Box put together by Don, DJ and Pat. As you well know , this road crew has been terrific over the years and their efforts have paid dividends for the Town and its residents many times over .
One example was when the 1973 addition was built and we had a lingering problem with our leech field under the athletic fields. Although installed incorrectly , repair had turned into a war of words between the Architect , the Contractor and the Board , with the first two always making promises to the school which were never carried out. Finally Don offered up a solution , then he and the crew installed it and our problems were solved until , at last , the Sewer Plant was completed.  Another was when the Road Crew paved our middle parking lot at a time when funds were tight and we couldn't find a company who would help us at a reasonable cost. The paving really saved our building by reducing the material tracked  in , the school was happy to pay the town for the asphalt and the labor ,and we ended up with a wonderful base surface , thanks again to the crew. ( I think the principal helped out that afternoon with a shovel , if my memory serves me correctly .  )
Finally , the Fairfax Town Fair could not have taken place for those many years that it was held to support the Hot Lunch program , without the entire Town Crew volunteering its time year after year , starting with Mike Cain's father and including both Don & DJ through the late 70's and 80's.
Again I join the residents in thanking the crew for all their projects , including this one , and for all their time spent improving things for Fairfax .   

Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : April 30, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »

That is cool as heck!

Patent it, ASAP!

Too late.... I am stealing the design already.

That really is Yankee Ingenuity.

Nice.
Razzle Dazzle

« #4 : April 30, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »

Great looking work!
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #5 : April 30, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »

those are going to be some hard shoes to fill when he leaves
Stand Alone Defense
: 771