Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:21:22 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Broadband Availability Website
« previous next »
: [1]
: Broadband Availability Website  ( 4972 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : May 12, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »

Governor Shumlin Announces New Broadband Availability Website

BroadbandVT.org to Use Crowdsourcing to Identify Unserved Areas

Montpelier, VT – Gov. Peter Shumlin unveiled a new website today, www.BroadbandVT.org, a one-stop information resource and interactive tool for Vermonters to use in the quest to obtain statewide, universal availability of broadband service.

“I think we are all well aware that some Vermonters are without broadband service today,” the Governor said. “We have federal, state and privately funded projects in progress to build more broadband connections.   As we achieve the broadband build out, we need to identify those remaining unserved areas down to the location level.”

He said one of the important features of BroadbandVT.org is it allows Vermonters to participate and tell us where – down to their individual home addresses -- they know service is missing. 

“But the site does more than tell us where service is not -- it also tells us about the types and speeds of broadband already in use,” said Karen Marshall, Chief of ConnectVT.  “For those Vermonters who are fortunate and already enjoy high speed access, the site identifies service options at any residence, business, or address in the state, as well as detailed information about the service providers. It also works on a dial-up connection, and can direct visitors to the nearest location offering public , high speed Internet access.”

BroadbandVT.org was designed as a neutral, broad based and singular resource for all things broadband.  The  central element of the site is the coverage map – which is continuously updated to reflect the data input from visitors – a process known as “crowdsourcing.”  The map includes various overlays that identify areas without service, existing broadband service speeds, and public facilities, such as libraries, that offer broadband service. The map is updated on a 24-hour cycle to reflect the information recently gleaned from Vermonters visiting and providing data to the site.

“Key projects by Sovernet, VTel, FairPoint, Cloud Alliance, EC Fiber and others are building fiber connections deep into our communities, and beginning to create a canopy of wireless broadband in many areas of the state.  We are coordinating with the Department of Public Service and providers to keep people informed as to when service will be available,” said Marshall.   

“I encourage all of our residents to visit BroadbandVT.org and let us know where and how you get broadband. This information will be invaluable as we aim to complete our broadband infrastructure together, by 2013,” Gov. Shumlin said.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
cedarman
: 370

« #1 : May 12, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »

"Broadband access is a RIGHT!"
Fairfax Librarian
: 870

« #2 : May 12, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »

This is good news for all Vermonters!
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #3 : May 12, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »

Vermont seeks to fix inaccuracies on broadband map
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110512/NEWS03/110512015/Vermont-seeks-fix-inaccuracies-broadband-map-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
trussell
: 870

« #4 : May 12, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »

Oh good, North Fairfax has 100% coverage.  Huh.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : May 16, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »

Building a website so people have a reference point is good, but don't rely on this completely.  Shumlin cannot promise or provide broadband service. Thank the businesses that are putting in capital dollars to build their networks in Vermont, via wireless or cabled.... Ok, I am off of my soap box.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: