Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:19:01 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Crane Tips Over & Crashes Through Roof Of Georgia Market
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Crane Tips Over & Crashes Through Roof Of Georgia Market  ( 9050 )
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #15 : August 25, 2011, 02:05:39 AM »

Thinking,,,,

I do that so rare,

I despise that "lowest bidder" syndrome.

I don't eat or shelter my family or heat my home without our company being lowest bidder.

95% of contractors give a fair and honest bid based on the drawings and specs provided by the OWNER and designers.

My experience is that the OWNERs try to skimp on design costs, hence 65% drawings, and no thorough investigation of existing site conditions.

We try to make a profit of a whopping 2% - 5% profit margin.
5% is a dream!
Trust me.

I had a job one time where I called the architect because we ran into asbestos while doing a re model in a hospital.
HOSPITAL!

He actually stated to me, that they never were authorized to do an abatement study due to the costs associated with it.
The owner would cross that bridge when it was crossed.

It was crossed x3 because we had to do to sampling, testing, and results and abatement.

I could go on and on how Owners try to save a few bucks here and there and it ends up biting into their "projected" budgets.

This crane accident was JUST that, an accident.

Yet another RANT over.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: