Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 12:19:43 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Legislative Update From Gary Gilbert - Feb. 18, 2007
« previous next »
: [1]
: Legislative Update From Gary Gilbert - Feb. 18, 2007  ( 3019 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 18, 2007, 09:00:30 PM »

The importance of parliamentary decorum was clearly evident this week. The tone of the Vermont House changed twice. Once was when legislators chose to question the sincerity of those that did not share their opinion of the best solution to a problem. Unfortunately, the provoked response contributed to a very aggressive debate that was more argument than discussion. This was the first time I had seen ego get in the way of forming public policy. I knew this was likely to happen sometime, but the speed of the negative change was instantaneous. It was evident that there would be no progress made in the near future. 

The second occurred the next day when leadership of all parties provided time, off the floor, for proponents to present the rationale for and to answer questions about their amendments. The focus here was on the quality of the idea presented. As a result, tension was released. Upon returning to the floor and utilizing different spokespersons, the debate centered on the presentation of facts and the merits of one choice over another. 

The House Education Committee will continue its work to identify costs drivers and recommend practices to provide quality education in the most efficient way. We will hear from a Maine legislative council, where they are also working on governance. Vermont groups presenting will include:
§   Vermont League of Cities and Towns – on education funding and property taxes
§   Vermont Business Roundtable – on Vt. education and the workforce
§   Office of Vermont Health Access – on education financing and Medicaid
§   Various superintendents – on collective bargaining and cost containment.

The committee has made a commitment to have meaningful legislation on the floor shortly after town meeting. The intent is to recognize that each issue, like the ones above affects the others and that changes in one area can not be considered independent of all the others. What do you think? What are your priorities?

I can be reached during the week in Montpelier by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616 where a message can be left at the Sergeant At Arms Office and delivered to me at seat 26, by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home answering machine at 849-6333.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Fairfax/Georgia

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: