Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 05:24:57 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  My Dad Wouldn't Eat Oleo Sooooooooo
« previous next »
: [1]
: My Dad Wouldn't Eat Oleo Sooooooooo  ( 2096 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 09, 2007, 08:49:24 AM »

During World War II you couldn't buy butter so they came out with this fantastic substitute called Oleo.  It came in a plastic bag with a little yellow bubble in it that you would break then knead the plastic bag until the white lardy stuff looked the color of butter.  Well, my Dad, who was an old time farmer wasn't about to eat that stuff, so Mother checked out the Sears Roebuck Catalog and found a butter churn that looked very much like the one in the photo above.  It cost less than $5, so thus the milk from our one Jersey Cow was skimmed and the cream used to make butter for our family.  I personally have to agree with Dad -- That Oleo was bad  --  My Dad was a Holstein Man, but when I say one Jersey Cow, that is what he had and her milk was saved for a lot of cream we used to use back then.  Dad had Oatmeal every morning with straight heavy cream -- Have no idea what his cholesteral was, but apparently never had any heart problems.[/b]

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: