Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 10:04:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Ed & Helga From Rainbow Canyon On Route 317
« previous next »
: [1]
: Ed & Helga From Rainbow Canyon On Route 317  ( 1441 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 12, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »

Yesterday we toured the Rainbow Canyon on Route 317. The 2005 write-up said at the halfway point the road was closed due to flash flood damage. Checking with the BLM Caliente Office we learned the road was open to its 22 mile length. The same day we talked to BLM, thunder showers could be seen off in the distance beyond Rainbow Canyon. As we entered the route, there was a sign that said the road was closed, but because it was leaning, we ignored it. As we turned the corner we could see the paved road was flooded, but seeing a passenger car move forward, so did we. We could tell serious work had been accomplished since 2005 replacing and upgrading wash out structures. However, serious road washouts were still evident, maybe even from yesterday. In some cases the road was eroded to its base along the creek. As we made the 22-mile milepost and point of interest, we found it closed. So we returned noticing thunder clouds above. Because the road was paved its entire length, I wasn't concerned with driving through the muddy water, but I did have to go to the car wash afterwards.

Note Bella in the truck. She loves being in the back where she can puruse her surroundings. Rainbow Canyon is a good name to describe the variety of colors present. 

Today will be our 81st day on the road traveling 8,806 miles using only 1,653 gallons of diesel fuel!

Are we having fun? You betcha. This next sequence brings us into canyonland country of Southeast Utah where we will hunt for petroglyphs, pictographs, and visit some of USA's best NP's.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: