Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:19:52 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Arthur H. "Joe"Packard Obituary
« previous next »
: [1]
: Arthur H. "Joe"Packard Obituary  ( 6327 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 09, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »

Arthur H. “Joe” Packard

Essex - Arthur H. “Joe” Packard, 81 passed away at home on Monday, May 5, 2008 after fighting a courageous battle with cancer.  Joe was born on Orr Rd. in Jericho, on the family farm, like his father before him, on May 16, 1926, son of the late Arthur H. and Ruth (Weidenbacher) Packard.  He was a member of the Jericho Congregational Church for most of his life and a trustee of the Jericho Corners Cemetery Assoc. until his death.

Joe graduated from Jericho High School where baseball was one of his passions.  He pitched for the Packard Pilots for several years and was an avid Red Sox fan. Joe first farmed in Jericho, then purchased “Aremsapaban” on Weed Road and was known throughout the area as an outstanding dairy farmer.  He was recognized more than once by the Vermont Dairy Herd Improvement Assoc. for having an outstanding registered Holstein herd.  Joe was a director of the Richmond Coop Creamery for 11 years, as well as being a member and director of the Eastern States Farmers Coop (Agway).  After selling his farm in Essex in 1978, he devoted his time and energy to producing Vermont maple products and won many awards in that pursuit.  He was one of the founders and outstanding leaders of the Chittenden County Maple Sugarmakers Assoc. for more than 25 years.  During that time he initiated the building of the sugarhouse at the Champlain Valley Fairgrounds.

He is survived by his devoted wife and companion of 61 years, Emily (Hall) Packard, formerly of Westford; 

His four children:  Sandy and wife June of Essex, their two sons, Glen wife Corrie and Owen;  Pam and husband Charley Witherell of Johnson, their two sons, Ben and Jonathan;  Barbara and husband Johann Pretorius of Buxton, ME their daughter, Kristin and Nancy Packard of Woodstock and her daughter Christie Thompson.  Two great grandchildren Adam and Jack Packard and many nieces and nephews.

He was also predeceased by:  Four sisters:  Dorothy Steinhour, Ardelle Wells, Ruth (Kie) Thomas, and Jean Davis.

His smile and good humor will be deeply missed by all whose lives he touched.

Visiting hours will be held on Saturday May 10, 2008 from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. at the A. W. Rich Funeral Home – Essex Chapel.  The funeral service will be held at the Jericho Congregational Church in Jericho Center at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday May 11, 2008 with burial following at the Pleasant View Cemetery at Jericho Corners.  For those who wish, memorial contributions can be made to the Pleasant View Cemetery Assoc. of Jericho Corners, c/o Bette Whitcomb, 15 Lee River Rd. Jericho, VT 05465 or the American Cancer Society. 121 Connor Way P.O. Box 1460 Williston, VT 05495-1460.  Arrangements are by John D. Workman, A. W. Rich Funeral Home – Essex Chapel, 57 Main St. Essex Jct., VT 05452
« : May 09, 2008, 11:52:43 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: