Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:23:12 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  A Fantastic Presentation Of "The Fairfax Fire Dept, The First 60 Years"
« previous next »
: [1]
: A Fantastic Presentation Of "The Fairfax Fire Dept, The First 60 Years"  ( 2306 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 17, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »

Tremendous presentation by Steve Bessette on The Fairfax Fire Department, The First 60 Years.  After a short business meeting yesterday afternoon at the Fairfax Fire Station, Steve Bessette gave his presentation.  He had a number of mementos that he showed us, like the plaque that shows the fire chiefs down through the years, starting with Jim Goodall.  The plaque actually showed Jim Goodall (Jim lived where Betty & Bridget Morgan live now) being fire chief from 1942.  Of course there would have been no fire truck until 1948 when the first one was bought.  Steve surmised that perhaps Jim Goodall in those early years may have been involved in Civil Defense which was a common activity during WWII.

There were a couple of things I was disappointed in, and that is that there were only 16 individuals in all that attended, to enjoy Steve’s presentation.  The second thing is that I do wish I had found someone with a tape recorder to record this excellent history of The Fairfax Fire Department.

Steve got his information from such sources as Mrs. Inez Barkyoumb’s scrap book, several histories by Larry Parsons, my Internet Web Site information, items at the Fairfax Fire Station and of course since Steve has twenty-five plus years on the fire department himself, he has had the opportunity to talk with many of the old time firemen like Albert Rich, Larry Parsons, Dick LeClair and many others.

Orman Ovitt, an old time firefighter was there and added information to Steve’s presentation, as did Paul Lavallee, also a long time Fairfax Fire Department member.

I did not take any notes, as I don't listen to one thing and write another well.  The information I have given here, hopefully is right, but there was so much more given in a very memorable presentation.

Many thanks Steve, for a wonderful job.

Bob Bessette, Paul Lavallee, Dot Meisenzahl, Bill Meisenzahl, Orman Ovitt, Edwina Bartley & Barb Duval listen as Orman relates some memories.
« : November 17, 2008, 08:43:59 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: