Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:33:11 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Thoughts on Company Benefit Enrollments
« previous next »
: [1]
: Thoughts on Company Benefit Enrollments  ( 5032 )
fletchtb
: 310

« : December 10, 2008, 08:10:21 PM »

All,

I've recently experienced a problem for the third or fourth straight year at my company and I wonder if anyone has had the same experience. Every year my wife, who works for one of the big banks in the state, gets her annual benefit packet (health insurance, dental, flexible spending, etc...) in October. Her company's enrollment period is then open until the middle of November. Each year my company provides its benefit information in December and has an enrollment period for about a week. My problem is that my wife and I never get to compare plans. We always have to gamble that one plan will be a better fit for our family. First of all, I think we are both fortunate to have jobs that offer health insurance as I understand not everyone else does, but I think we should be able to make an informed decision on what benefits we are purchasing for our family. I know this same issue was a problem for several of my coworkers in Stowe as well as some of the people that work in my company's Las Vegas office. My guess is that this impacts other families in our state who work for other companies.

One question I have is whether or not anyone else who reads this forum cares about this or has the same problem? My other question is whether something should be done. The reason I am posting this in the Political Issues section of the forum is I think it would be a good idea if the State Legislature passed a law requiring that companies who provide benefits to their employees must do so by a specific date. I think the law should also stipulate that the benefit enrollment period should be open until at least a second specified date. That way all families who have spouses that work at different companies and might get different benefits will have the time to make an informed decision on this important matter. I think companies that failed to comply should be forced to pay a fine or provide the same benefits as the previous year at the same rate to the employee. I think there would need to be some sort of penalty to discourage employers from missing the deadline.

I have written to Franklin County Senators Brock and Kittell and State Representative Dickinson (since I live in Fletcher) about this issue and am awaiting their feedback. I would be interested in everyone else's feedback (especially State Reps Branagan and Gilbert).

Thanks,
Todd
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : December 11, 2008, 07:35:44 AM »

that's not a bad idea really.  I'm not as affected as you - hands down my employer's insurance is better than my wifes - thsu it's a no brainer.  BUT, i can see your predicament and wonder what would hinder a universal research and enrollment period for all employers?  It would come down to a weighing of costs to benefits i believe.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
fletchtb

« #2 : December 11, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »

Well so far I have a response from incoming Franklin Country Senator Randy Brock, who said he would look into the matter. He mentioned wanting to get the perspective of the health insurance industry as well as the employer, which makes good sense. He also mentioned that the county delegation would be meeting next week to discuss the upcoming legislative session and he thought he could bring up the issue there as well.

Overall, I was appreciative of Senator Brock's quick, thoughtful, and thorough response.
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #3 : December 11, 2008, 01:53:09 PM »

Hi  Todd,

Since Randy has already promised to work on this for you, I'll let him take the lead. It is confusing if too many legislators are trying to tackle the same issue. However,  I will speak with him about possible solutions. Have you spoken to the employee relations/human services office? Perhaps if you explain to them the tough spot you and your wife are placed in because of the   deadlines for being added to the health plans, they might be able to share with you the changes they are going make. Perhaps they could share the proposed changes earlier. It may depend on when the end of the insurance year is for their particular plan. I will remind Randy to bring this up at our delegation meeting next week. I'll also speak to the  folks at BISHCA (Banking, Insurance, Securities and Health Care Administration) and try to find out if there is some ruling already that should govern this.

Thanks for sharing this problem. Legislators have to know what problems people are facing in order to find a solution. If there is a solution! And  don't hesitate to contact any of us. The feeling among most legislators is that we are the Franklin County delegation, not just district representatives. Since the county is so small, we all need to pitch in and represent everyone whether they technically live in the district or not. Contact me anytime. 

Rep. Carolyn Branagan

« : December 11, 2008, 02:29:21 PM Carolyn Branagan »

Carolyn Branagan
fletchtb

« #4 : December 16, 2008, 09:35:37 AM »

Thanks for the response on this. I will say that I began inquiring with our parent company's Human Resources department in October and checked in with them every couple of weeks as my wife's enrollment period end date approached. With a couple of days left in the period, they told me that there would be little or no change to my premiums, but they didn't have any numbers to show me or coverage information to share. While this was better than nothing, I did not find it to be much help. As far as enrollment periods go, every company I have ever worked for had benefits that started on January 1 regardless of when the company's fiscal year began and ended.

I really believe all Vermonters who have family members with access to different benefit plans should have the time to compare the different plans to determine which makes the most financial sense and provides the best coverage to the family.

Thanks for your help with this.
trussell
: 870

« #5 : December 16, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »

Like most people, my benefits run Jan 1-Dec 31.  My wife, who was working for Chittenden East Supervisory Union, had her benefits go from (I believe) July 1-June 30.  There was enough of a gap that a pre-existing condition would not have been covered under my plan had my employer not let me slide in.  In my case, it worked out fine- but for someone with a more rigid company, it could be an issue.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: [1]  
« previous next »
: