Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 08:32:09 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Mom & Her Son Leaving For Obama Inauguration
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Mom & Her Son Leaving For Obama Inauguration  ( 5387 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 17, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »

I heard yesterday that a Fairfax & her Son are leaving to attend the Presidential Inauguration on Tuesday.  She got tickets after she wrote the VT delegation - I know she'll be staying outside the city but was told they need to take the train and head in around 4 AM Tuesday morning.

I'm sure it will be quite and experience for them.

I have tried contacting her, to see if she would mind if I gave her name on the forum, but so far have been unsuccessful.  I am sure that perhaps many of you already know who the Mom is and also the BFA Student.

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : January 17, 2009, 09:14:57 AM »

I don't. And I work at the school.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : January 17, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »

The two people going down from Fairfax are Cindy Groseclose and her son LJ - Just spoke with her Dad, Jim, and he said he felt she wouldn't mind if I mentioned who they were.  Will be looking forward to hearing how they made out.  Jim tells me that Cindy contacted Bernie Sanders quite a while ago and that is how she got the tickets.

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #3 : January 17, 2009, 01:23:49 PM »

I hope they both have a wonderful time!!

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : January 17, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »

I just got a note from Cindy and she woke up sick this morning and was not able to leave today as planned.

Henry Raymond
CindyG
: 19

« #5 : January 18, 2009, 07:02:01 PM »

Henry, we were indeed supposed to go, and I am indeed quite sick. I wrote about it for Facebook and here is the essay.
Incidentally, the French Exchange student we have is attending, I am not sure if with her host family. Perhaps she can give us the story that I was hoping to share. Here is my essay on the aftermath of coming up ill.

On the uses of disappointment.

I learned something valuable this week. One of my mottos is to prepare well, think positive and do all you can. So, what happens when you do all of that, and you still don’t get what you want?

My son and I were supposed to attend the swearing in ceremony for President Elect Barack Obama. We were awarded tickets in the lottery from the Honorable Bernie Sanders office.
Although I don’t have a lot of money, we have cousins in the area. I asked for a place to stay. Hooray!

I got maps, obsessively watched the weather and transport sites. I bought thermal gear, hand warmers, toe warmers and snacks. I mapped my routes and printed out the maps (both ways!). I asked expert advice from several locals and other friends that had lived in the DC area. I requested the time off from work, and notified my son’s school. In short, I was ready to go.

Sadly for me, there is something I could not control. There’s a very nasty respiratory thing going around. And despite my best efforts to stave it off, I’ve got it. I am dizzy, lightheaded, ear achy, and headachy. In short, there is no way that I can drive the 10 hours each way to attend, much less brave a crowd of millions and take a chance of leaving my 15 year old to deal with a sick Mom in that situation. I can’t afford to fly, and flights are long since booked. Ditto the trains and busses at this point.

At first, I was devastated and I am not ashamed to admit that I cried. My son is remarkably OK with it. God bless him, he told me that my health comes first.
He has stepped up to take care of his Mom without even being asked. (Great kid!)

I sat with my disappointment. I called a wise friend and a couple of family members. What it comes down to is, I honestly believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe there’s a good reason we shouldn’t have been on the road. (Incidentally, we would have been very near the Georgia exit at the time of the accident yesterday).

I can’t control everything. That’s a good lesson. Sometimes, you do your best and accepting the outcome is the wisest course of action. So, my friends, you have cheered me on through this, and I have no doubt you are as disappointed on our behalf as I am. And isn’t that a blessing? To have people who care all around you?

So thank you all for being my friends, family and folks I know from everywhere I’ve been. You are the silver lining in my experience. I cannot control every little thing that happens. I CAN learn from whatever happens though. Sometimes in disappointment lies wisdom.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : January 18, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »

What a wonderful way to look at it and it would appear that LJ has been a comfort to you rather than making it more difficult for you.

Henry Raymond
Mummy
: 280

« #7 : January 19, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »

Read in the Burlington Free Press that there is a bus leaving tonight and returning Wednesday morning.  Just an idea if you are feeling better.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: