Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:41:09 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  IBM Workers Group - Not Really
« previous next »
: [1]
: IBM Workers Group - Not Really  ( 2133 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 29, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »

The Free Press had this headline  "IBM workers group seeks changes" when in fact what they are is a group working to unionize IBM employees and they do not represent IBM Employees.  The guy Conrad who kept getting himself interviewed, so he could plant seeds of suspicion in the employees and create hate and discontent between the employees and their employer was setting the stage for yet another attempt to unionize IBM employees.

Bottom line, when there isn't any work, layoffs are inevitable, however, IBM did not just throw these employees out the door with a pink slip.  Most of the laid-off employees have the option to continue working for up to 30 more days. And at that point they will begin receiving severance packages. They will get one week of pay for every six months' service, up to a maximum of 26 weeks. Medical and life insurance will be subsidized for a year, and IBM will assist with outplacement services for a year. The company will also reimburse employees for retraining expenses incurred up to one year after they're let go. Laid-off employees can also get financial planning and counseling for four months.

Now although this is probably little consolation to those that have been laid off, IBM does try to help them transition outside of IBM.  In my mind, a union at IBM would not improve working conditions for the employees, just create more disgruntled employees.  Below is the article from the Union Organizers that was in this morning's Free Press:

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: