Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:46:13 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Essex Junction Pushing IBM Out The Door
« previous next »
: [1]
: Essex Junction Pushing IBM Out The Door  ( 3690 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 27, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »

The village of Essex Junction has been living off the fat of the land (IBM) since 1957.  So much so that they refuse to merge with the Town, as that would mean they would have to share the income from IBM's Taxes.  The people in Essex Junction itself have reaped the harvest and now find that paying a little more of their own way can be a little expensive.  What they are doing now, is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back and most likely will have an effect on all of Vermont.  IBM has been in Essex Junction for 52 years, so I would say that any Essex Junction Voter who is under the the age of 73, probably has very little idea what things were like before IBM started paying the big tax share.   Kind of upsets me that those who have received so much are so ungrateful.

Henry Raymond
msm
: 211

« #1 : February 27, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »

Henry,

Is there a newspaper article I can review on this subject ?

I keep in touch with several IBMers and I heard similiar things,  the spin I have heard includes the State of Vermont ( not providing tax incentives ).   I'm aware that IBM has 'fought' the Village for several years now concerning the Assessment Values of their Property and Capital Equipment Values. 

I totally agree with your perspective,  the locals ( and State )  do not know how good they have it.   The Local Authorities should be catering to this business and not  be pushing it  out --  In my opinion,  they need to partner with IBM to ensure another 52 years of local and state support.

Mike    IBM employee from 1980 - 1999
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : February 27, 2009, 02:41:02 PM »

Hi Mike,

Here is the article in The Burlington Free Press:

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: