Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 01:25:32 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  The Light Is On At A. W. Rich Funeral Home For David Geer
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Light Is On At A. W. Rich Funeral Home For David Geer  ( 2315 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 04, 2009, 07:39:35 PM »

David W. Geer, Sr.

Fairfax, VT / Birch Island, ME - David Wyman Geer, Sr., 83 passed away suddenly, but peacefully at his home in Fairfax, VT on Monday March 2, 2009. 

Dave was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on November 4, 1925, to the late Russel and Elisabeth (Wyman) Geer.   Dave served in the U.S. Navy as an aviation mechanic during World War II.  He spent the remainder of his working life on the water.  He began working for Casco Bay Lines in Portland, Maine, in 1946 and, in his own words, Dave “caught the very tail end of the steam era.”  Navigation at that time was done by compass and stopwatch.

Dave moved to Vermont in 1951 to work for the Lake Champlain Transportation Company.  His first designation was that of a first-class pilot, but by 1953 Dave had earned his master mariner’s license.  It was there that he met his wife of more than 50 years, Janet Stewart Geer.  They married in 1956.  During his 39 years of going “back and forth” at LCT, he played a pivotal role when the ferries began running year round.  When Dave retired from the company in 1990, he joked, “it took me 40 years to get tired and it will take me 40 years to get rested.”

Since his retirement, Dave became quite a baker best known for his homemade baked beans, “Poppi’s Rolls”, and his favorite collection of New Orleans dishes.  When Dave decided that the family needed a new skiff for Birch Island, he researched the design and, at the age of 80, built it himself.  That red plywood and fiberglass skiff is used by the family each summer to provide transportation from the island to the mainland.

Dave lived in many different places during his lifetime but always spent his summers at a cottage built by his grandfather on Birch Island, Maine and considered that his home.  At the age of 15, Dave hitchhiked from New Orleans to Birch Island in the middle of the winter and convinced the only man who wintered on the island to let him stay.  Dave’s tales of that winter has not only become mandatory reading by today’s Birch Island residents, but has made him a bit of a folk hero. 

He is survived by:  His loving wife of 52 years Janet (Stewart) Geer of Fairfax;  His son David Geer Jr. and wife Lisa of South Hero;  His daughter Judith Geer of Fairfax;  His two grandchildren:  Emily Maren Geer and Connor David Geer of South Hero;  His brother Russel M. Geer and wife Anita of Gainesville, GA;  His sister-in-law Nancy Geer of VA;  Several nieces, nephews and cousins.

He is also predeceased by:  His brother Richard G. Geer;  His sister Barbara Prutzman and husband William. 

Their will be no public visiting hours.   A memorial service will be held at the United Church in Fairfax, VT on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 4pm.  An informal reception will follow the service.  In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting that donations be made either to the Boy Scouts of America, Green Mountain Council, P.O. Box 557, Waterbury, VT 05676-0557; or to the Fairfax Rescue Squad, P.O. Box 428, Fairfax, VT 05454.

Arrangements are by John D. Workman, A. W. Rich Funeral Home – 1176 Main St. Fairfax, VT 05454   The family invites you to share your memories and online condolences by visiting David’s life tribute by directly visiting www.awrichfuneralhomes.com

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: