Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 01:55:43 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Orienteering
« previous next »
: [1]
: Orienteering  ( 3787 )
katrinaantonovich
: 162

« : March 14, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone in town had any orienteering experience and was interested in teaching it to others. Thanks! Katrina
Just contact me through e-mail: fairfaxparksandrec@yahoo.com (I'm also sent a note to the green mountain orienteering club, but I thought I check if there were local resources here in town!)
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : March 15, 2009, 08:17:43 AM »

Hi Katrina,

You sent me to the dictionary - We all relate words to our own personal life and to me orienteering must of had something to do with orienting people to a special task or like we had at the company I worked, Job Orientation.  Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Orienteering is a family of sports that require navigational skills using a map and compass to navigate from point to point in diverse and usually unfamiliar terrain. Participants are given a map, usually a specially prepared orienteering map, which they use to find control points.[1] Originally a training exercise in land navigation for military officers, orienteering has developed many variations. Among these, the oldest and the most popular is foot orienteering. For the purposes of this article, foot orienteering serves as a point of departure for discussion of all other variations, but basically any sport that involves racing against a clock and requires navigation using a map is a type of orienteering."

I have to be honest with you, I never heard of the game, but then again in the one room school I went too, we had to play baseball with one batter, one catcher, one pitcher and one ball chaser as that is all the students we had, so the game of baseball even had different rules.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #2 : March 16, 2009, 10:59:25 AM »

I've heard of it - saw a segment on that ETV "Outdoors" show about it.  It seems like it was pretty cool actually and had a pretty devoted following.  If something like it was to take root in Fairfax - i just might be interested in participating.
« : March 16, 2009, 11:02:24 AM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: