Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 06:25:41 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  What Happened To The Farmer's Market
« previous next »
: [1]
: What Happened To The Farmer's Market  ( 5339 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 19, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »

I thought there was going to be a weekly Farmer's Market - I went down one Saturday and there was one table - Since then I have seen nothing - Also looks like a sign in the window of the Burger Barn, but unable to read it from the road.

Henry Raymond
slpott
: 457

« #1 : July 19, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »

Unfortunately, there has been a lot of time and effort put into this but without the people there really isn't any way to accomplish having a farmers market. We need people to participate. I would hate to see all this go away but unless we take part I am afraid it will not happen on its own. I know that when we lived in Europe I loved going to the markets in each town. Lets all try to do our best to make this work. Fairfax could be a pretty quaint little town if we all put our talents together. After next week-end "Art in Bloom" I will do my part to help. Hope to see you there.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : July 19, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »

I noticed a Farmer's Market in Westford last Friday night, but did not have time to stop and see what they had.  They had a lot of Orange Cones in the road so you almost had to stop, something you could not do here on Route 104.  Again, Farmer's Markets at times are expensive, not something everyone who is pinching their pennies wants to support.

Henry Raymond
Cat

« #3 : July 19, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »

About 3 weeks ago we walked to the Swanson's farmers market but nothing was there. I looked again another Saturday & only saw one table that said eggs.

We have been to the farmers market in Westford & they have some really good kettle popcorn & fudge. The prices seemed to be normal prices for a farmers market.

I know if Swansons farmers market turned into a good size one I would definitely buy stuff from there if there was a variety of items.
Judi
: 508

« #4 : July 19, 2009, 04:06:56 PM »

Perhaps with all the rainy weather it has dampened spirits of those who otherwise would set up. Just a thought!
David Shea
: 471

« #5 : July 20, 2009, 09:43:21 AM »

Hello,

I grow a good size garden at my house each year.  One plot is 50ft by 50ft and the other is 50 ft by 25 foot.  Most people who see what I grow are in amazed by the size.  These two plots supply me with enough for my family and maybe a little extra.

Gardening is a lot of fun but it is a LOT MORE WORK.  If you want to get a return on the investment of time a good deal of money is required as well.  To start my garden each year, not factoring in the cost of garden tools, fuel, ect I spend in access of $150.00 for seed, fertilizer and manure.  Each year I question myself as to whether or not I am going to put the money & sweat equity into doing it.  With weather as a contributing factor I often think I would have better luck playing my luck in Las Vegas.

My personal feeling on gardening is that it is so much work that I only grow what I need for my family and give away to family and close friends what I can not use.

Dave
dearon
: 233

« #6 : July 20, 2009, 10:13:05 AM »

I also have two very large gardens along with a small orchard.  I grow my own blueberries, raspberries, apples, plums, herbs and every vegetable we like including sweet potatoes and asparagus.  The cost is  roughly $75 - $80 per season as I buy my seeds on line from Gurneys when they have their sale and my fertilizer from Oliver seed in Milton. The fruit I grow was expensive to start but it was a one time costs and the benefits far outweight the initial cost.  We always grow more than we need as I can and freeze alot of the vegetables and make jams, wine etc out of the fruit.  We give away many bag fulls and quarts to our family and a few close friends. 
I believe the biggest reason the farmers market isn't as successful as it should have been is the cost per day or season; while it is low it is still a factor in whether or not you'll make a profit and there are many farmers market in a relatively short distance.    The weather hasn't cooperated but I don't believe that is the whole problem.   I've been to many farmer's markets in other states and they most always are indoors which is quite nice on a rainy day, who wants to stand out in the rain to buy a few things.
cassyt
: 84

« #7 : July 20, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »

we should have planted rice and make mud pies
: [1]  
« previous next »
: