Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:31:50 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Bean Hole Bean Dinner Revival
« previous next »
: ALL in Favor of Reviving the once annual Bean Hole Bean Dinner....Say:
Aye!
Nay!
Aye - and i'd like to help!

: [1]
: Bean Hole Bean Dinner Revival  ( 7711 )
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« : July 21, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »

The Bean Hole Bean Dinner was an annual event held here in Fairfax.  It was held at ... is it the old baptist church?.. the place folks can't use in the winter anymore due to no heat?..  It was a fun time with seating outside and inside.  When i first moved to Fairfax, it was something that helped me to connect to my new community. 
There was the main attraction of course - the specially made beans, and hot dogs and burgers, and corn amd potaotes and chips and ice tea - kinda like a family barbeque.
A few local folks are exploring putting it back together again.   Community feedback is welcome  - notice the option for wanting to help make it happen - please contact me via PM if interested...
« : July 21, 2009, 03:23:54 PM Loctavious »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : July 24, 2009, 12:53:08 AM »

I saw pics of that on this here site a year or so.

That does look like a lot of fun!!!!!

I may try to institute a similar event here in my 'hood.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : July 24, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »

So you can see what is involved in cooking the beans prior to the work involved at the hall where the beans along with the rest of the other menu are served, click on the following link of my visit at the last event several years ago:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=568.0

Henry Raymond
dearon
: 233

« #3 : July 24, 2009, 07:09:58 AM »

Interesting......but doesn't look to sanitary to me.
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #4 : July 24, 2009, 10:03:02 AM »

what doesn't look sanitary to you?  Surely you're not talking about the excessive carbon on the outside of the pots?   i think the temps woudl kill anything thing bad or make it scurry away.  But, alas some folks are particular about how there food is prepared/served.  Hey, maybe you can volunteer to be the sanitation officer of the crew?  Now that would be an awesome way to integrate your ideas on making it better...... :)

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

edakrupp

« #5 : July 27, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »

I talked to my Aunt Elaine about the bean hole dinner, and it used to be sponsored by the wives of the Masons in town, known as thethe Northern Stars,(Or Eastern Stars). they are now defunct, because of lack of membership and have moved off to join the community in St. Albans, pity really. I am a strong supporter of the Masons and wish the younger generations would pass on the traditions and the community service this group has been renowned for. Any way... I was a professional chef for 10 years, NECI Trained etc. Etc. and would love to help.
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #6 : July 27, 2009, 01:48:51 PM »

Experience is great!  After a discussion with Rev Elizabeth, I learned about who benefited with from the proceeds as well as them no longer being active in the Area.  ALREADY been thinking of what to do with the proceeds - the obvious recipients to me at least, are the Citizens of Fairfax via our local volunteer and non-profit groups.  I know if a few different local initiatives that could benefit from some extra cash flow.

That's my intent - to keep the proceeds somewhat local but perhaps divvy them up amongst a few different recipients. 
« : July 27, 2009, 02:32:59 PM Henry »

edakrupp

« #7 : July 27, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »

I didn't even think about it as being a money raiser. I'll leave that part up to you. Any chance it will raise a million to enlarge and strengthen our waste water treatment plant so we can bring businesses into the center of town? ha Ha Ha
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #8 : July 28, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »

A million eh?  They say reach for the stars, but i'd be happy with any four digit number.  :)

UGGGH, we need about 200 million to get everything we need AND want:
- waste water treatment plant so we can bring businesses into the center of town
- New Athletic and Student facility
- Offical Community center
- extensive road repair, upgrade, and paving

Then we get into all the local groups we have that fundraise people into a stooper ( My club being one of them) :) 

- soccer
- baseball/softball ( elementary school on up)
- basketball
- School clubs
- Girl Scouts
- Local Charities
- Snowmobile club

It would be equally nice if all we really accomplish is a great gathering where our locals can enjoy food, firends, and a greater sense of community.       

dearon
: 233

« #9 : July 28, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »

Don't forget your local foodself for those less fortune that are having an extra hard time now
: [1]  
« previous next »
: