Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:32:22 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  ROSE HELEN (HOWRIGAN) O'CONNELL Obituary
« previous next »
: [1]
: ROSE HELEN (HOWRIGAN) O'CONNELL Obituary  ( 3408 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 28, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »

(I was unaware of Rose's death yesterday when I was at Imogene's 100th Birthday Party - Loretta, Kathleen, Tom and Rose's sister-in-law Ann were all there - My sympathy to the Howrigan Family on yet another loss)

ROSE HELEN (HOWRIGAN) O'CONNELL

BURLINGTON - Rose O'Connell passed away peacefully on Sept. 26, 2009, in Stow, Mass. at the home of her daughter Sarah Kalil surrounded by her children, grandchildren and her faithful caregiver, Mimi Apaloo. Rose was born on Dec. 15, 1927, to William and Margaret (McCarthy) Howrigan in the stone house on the hill in Fletcher, Vt. Rose was the eighth child and second daughter of William and Margaret's eleven children. The closeness of growing up as part of a large dairy farming and maple sugaring family was precious to Rose. She attended the Shepardson School, a one room school in Fletcher, Vt. and graduated from St. Mary's High School in St. Albans in 1944, and the University of Vermont in 1949. Following graduation from UVM Rose taught school in Vermont and New York. Rose married the love of her life, Emmett O'Connell of Staten Island, N.Y. on June 23, 1953, in St. Patrick's Church in Fairfield, Vt. Emmett and Rose made their home in Burlington and raised their four children as active members of St. Mark's Parish. Rose left teaching to be with her growing family. She was a dedicated and energetic mother and delighted in being at home with her children. Rose later returned to teaching in Burlington at C.P. Smith School in 1968. During her teaching tenure Rose was named the Vermont Outstanding Teacher of the Year in 1988. Rose's passion for teaching entered all parts of her life with a professional focus on early learning, spending over 20 years teaching kindergarten. She believed in the importance of early education and worked to ignite a desire for lifelong learning in several generations of students. Rose retired from teaching in 1989. In retirement Rose and Emmett set off to travel the United States and eventually parts of the world that brought them to Ireland, Greece, Switzerland, Canada, Germany, Israel and the Caribbean. Rose was an active member of the UVM Alumni Organization and worked as a fundraiser for the Green and Gold Club. Rose was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and courageously faced the challenge with style and grace, living with the disease for 25 years. Rose took control of her future by staying active, playing golf and tennis, bike riding, square dancing, and remained an active walker all of her life. Rose leaves many circles of friends. The bond between her siblings was passionate and remained constant throughout her life. There are many who were important to Rose: her family, especially her beloved grandchildren, the education professionals, the bridge groups, the tennis and golf friends, as well as the members of St. Mark's Parish. Rose is survived by her children, Emmett Jr. and Judy O'Connell of Stowe, Vt., Mary and Ken Stella of Vershire, Vt., Dr. Patrick and Susie O'Connell of Virginia Beach, Va., and Sarah and David Kalil of Stow, Mass. Rose leaves ten precious grandchildren, Sara, Sean and EJ O'Connell, Joe and Emily Stella, Kathryn, William and Patrick O'Connell, and Sean and Maura Kalil. Rose also cherished her many godchildren, nieces and nephews. Rose leaves her dear sisters, Loretta Magnan and her husband Henry, Kathleen Connor, and Teresa Manahan and her husband John; and her brothers, Robert Howrigan and his wife Virginia, and Dr. Thomas G. Howrigan; and sisters-in-law, Teresa (O'Connell) Murphy, Anne Howrigan; and brother-inlaw Bernard Connor. In June of this year, Rose was preceded in death by her husband of 58 years, Emmett; her sister Mary Connor, RN in May of this year; and brothers, Bernard Howrigan in 1916, Senator Francis Howrigan in 2001, Sgt. Raymond Howrigan USMC, killed in action at Iwo Jima in 1945, and Harold Howrigan in September of this year. Rose was also preceded in death by her sisters-in-law, Neva Howrigan, Marguerite (O'Connell) O'Hanlon, and Sister Marie Emmett OSF; and brothers-in-law, Fred Connor, Daniel, Dennis, and Reverend John O'Connell. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009, at 11 a.m. in St. Mark's Roman Catholic Church in Burlington with burial to follow in Resurrection Park Cemetery. Those who wish may make contributions in her memory to The American Parkinson Disease Association, Vermont Chapter, 1 South Prospect St., Burlington, VT 05401. Visiting hours will be held on Tuesday from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Ready Funeral & Cremation Service North Chapel, 934 North Ave., Burlington. To send online condolences, please visit www.readyfuneral.com .
« : September 28, 2009, 07:54:29 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: