Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 16, 2024, 02:39:22 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  It Was 49 Years Ago
« previous next »
: [1]
: It Was 49 Years Ago  ( 5462 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 22, 2010, 07:20:52 AM »

I remember very well 49 years ago that we were having a hot month of July.  We had no airconditioning back then and Maryann was pregnant with our first child.  Back in those days, the grandmothers did not say pregnant, so I will correct myself here and say that Maryann was in a "Family Way."  Believe me, there was even a lot of hush, hush talk even in front of me.  Anyhow, one of the discussions between the "women" was that since it was time for the baby to be born, maybe it was time to intervene, soooooooo, out came the bottle of castor oil.  I have to tell you, that on top of the hot weather, the dose of castor oil did not improve the situation.  By the way, it didn't work either.  I think it was July 19th that Maryann took it and our beautiful daughter was born on July 23rd, just when God decided she would be.

I will have to check the Internet some time and see if it says there is any proof that giving an expectant mother a dose of castor oil will start her labor??

Henry Raymond
Margie
: 156

« #1 : July 22, 2010, 07:47:14 AM »

Happy Birthday Lynn!!!
chelseaclark
: 54

« #2 : July 22, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »

Plenty of people still try castor oil to trigger labor. Or an enema (same difference?).  I think babies come when they are ready. 

Here's an interesting article that suggests that a substance secreted by the fetus's lungs late in pregnancy actually triggers labor.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2001885740_labor23.html

Happy birthday!
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : July 23, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »

Happy Birthday to my sister Lynn!!!  I love you!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Kathleen
: 167

« #4 : July 23, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LYNN!  Hope you have an exceptional day!
Love ya,  Kathy

P.S.  Henry -- I checked on snopes.com and couldn't find anything about giving castor oil to expectant women to start labor.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #5 : July 23, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »

Methinks the castor oil served other purposes.....
: [1]  
« previous next »
: