Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:30:50 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Dr. Orton's Daughter Passes Away At Age 90
« previous next »
: [1]
: Dr. Orton's Daughter Passes Away At Age 90  ( 3486 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 01, 2010, 09:17:05 AM »

The Farm mentioned in the obituary is where Swanson's Nursery is now located:

ELISABETH ORTON WALLACE

NORTH HERO - Elisabeth Orton Wallace ("Liz") of North Hero and Homosassa, Fla. passed away at home with her family by her side on July 27, 2010 at the age of 90. Elisabeth was born in Rahway, N.J. on June 21, 1920, the daughter of Dr. George Lee Orton and Ruby Foster Orton. Dr. Orton was one of the founders of Kamp Kill Kare, in St. Albans Bay, and the family spent many summers on Lazy Lady Island and on the family farm in Fairfax. Elisabeth was an accomplished horsewoman, and once rode her horse from Fairfax to Woodstock, to then take part in the GMHA Hundred Mile Trail Ride. Elisabeth graduated from Hood College in 1942, and taught kindergarten for a number of years, before marrying James Moore Wallace, originally of Ballymena, Ireland, in 1949. Liz and Jim lived in Rahway, N.J. for many years before moving to Califon, N.J., always spending summers in North Hero. In their retirement years, they wintered in Sugarmill Woods, Homosassa, Fla., and returned to Vermont for the summers. Elisabeth leaves three daughters, Mary Jane Wallace Wirsing and her husband, Adolf Wirsing, of South Hero, Nancy Elisabeth Wallace and her husband, Jonathan Flanders, of Troy, N.Y., and Barbara Lee Wallace and her longtime partner, Michael Brown, of Cambridge. In addition, she will be missed by her four grandchildren, Elisabeth Wirsing and Max Wirsing, and Rhys Wallace Flanders and Darrel Orton Flanders. She also leaves several special nieces and nephews, and her spoiled Yorkie, "Miss Daisy." Elisabeth was predeceased by her parents; her husband, James Wallace; and her brothers, Dr. Foster Orton and Dr. Stuart Orton. Elisabeth's wishes were to have a simple family gathering for her committal, which will be in the Fairfax Plains Cemetery, Fairfax. It would have pleased her to know that any memorial gifts be made to the Visiting Nurse Association of Chittenden/Grand Isle Counties, 1110 Prim Rd., Colchester, Vt. 05446, or C.I.D.E.R. (Champlain Islanders Developing Essential Resources), P.O. Box 13, So. Hero, Vt. 05486.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: