Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 01:33:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Been Chasing A Balloon Down In The Village
« previous next »
: [1]
: Been Chasing A Balloon Down In The Village  ( 5397 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 14, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »

Daughter Sharon and I went down to Nan's to get a CreeMee and on our way down to the Village saw a balloon flying towards Fairfax Village.  Thought maybe they would try landing at the Rec Park, but while we were getting our CreeMee, it looked like it was going to land at the foot of Summit View Street.  Creemees in hand we went down to Summit View Street and saw that it was not going to land there - Looked like it was headed towards Bellows Meadow, soooooo off we went towards the Bellows Farm.  Saw the Balloon Truck headed that way also.  When we got to the Bellows Farm, noticed it was going right by towards 104a and looked like it was headed for the new Inn on 104A.  It was an Inn At Essex Balloon.  It was very low almost hitting the trees as it went across the meadow where the Inn has its cross country ski trails, but we thought they might be trying to make it to the Blake Farm and apparently so did the Balloon Truck as it was ahead of us.

Sharon noticed it landing in front of Larry Leach's Old House on Leach Road, so we turned around and went down the road.  There was a lady there watching it and she said the basket actually crashed through the trees it was so low.

Sharon got several shots with my Cell Phone, however, neither of us know how to download the photos, so will check with Mary Kay tomorrow.

Ended up, I actually ate a medium sized cree mee and don't remember eating it - Never quite know what is going to happen when you go out for a short drive here in Fairfax.

Henry Raymond
mmillette
: 41

« #1 : August 14, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »

We seen the very same balloon fly over our house and across McNall's hay field headed toward where you were chasing it!!
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : August 15, 2010, 06:25:21 AM »

I saw one Saturday morning and it looked as though it was checking out the cornfields here on Boissoneault!  It was pretty low; the wooshing noise from the burner scared the dog!!!
Kathleen
: 167

« #3 : August 16, 2010, 10:09:49 AM »

There used to be a tradition where balloonist went up with a bottle of champagne to give to the owners of the property that they landed on.  Do they still do that?  Maybe that was just for private balloonlists.  Nowadays I think most of the balloons we see are commercial balloons used for marketing purposes.
7F24
: 253

« #4 : August 16, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

Jeff Snider fly's the balloon with the Inn at Essex on it.  After everything is put away they have champaign and I believe chocolate while he gives a brief history of ballooning.  Property owners are usually invited to partake.
BAS07180
: 4

« #5 : August 16, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »

This balloon was flying over the school early Saturday; I saw 2 of them while out for my run that morning. Looks like fun!
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #6 : August 16, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »

They're not necessarily commercial balloons. They are private pilots, but they do take sponsors to help defray their costs. 
mrome
: 37

« #7 : August 18, 2010, 06:00:26 PM »

I volunteer to "crew" with U-Ken-Do Ballooning out of Highgate. There is a whole ritual that is done at the end of a commercial balloon ride. It includes history and champagne. To my knowledge, it is always done with comercial rides. Often champagne is shared with the landowner, sometimes a bottle is given.

The deal I have is that I crew 5 times and get a free balloon ride (retail value is about $250/hour). I have been in the chase vehicle and I have been with Ken and the balloon at a fundraising event selling tickets. He raffles off balloon rides to raise money for Camp Ta-Kum-Ta. Nice guy.

http://www.hotairballoon.org/vermont/

Margo Rome
« : August 18, 2010, 07:29:42 PM Henry »
MikeF9
: 1994

« #8 : August 18, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »

Back in July 2006, Ken landed a balloon in our backyard.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: