Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 09, 2024, 07:05:44 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  This Date in Fairfax History- November 3, 1927 The Flood
« previous next »
: [1]
: This Date in Fairfax History- November 3, 1927 The Flood  ( 2431 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : November 03, 2010, 09:01:32 AM »

This Date in Fairfax History
November 3, 1927

The Flood. One of the biggest stories in Fairfax's history.
To learn how the storm developed and why the flood occured, read all about it here:
http://www.vtgrandpa.com/fhs/flood27.html

November 3, 1927 was the last full day of this bridge's and many other's, existence.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : November 03, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »

Mike    My father was a sophomore at Whitcomb High School in Bethel that fall and in later years , as I was growing up, he related that the month of October was especially rainy and that the ground that day was saturated. He typically met his father after school and they walked home together,every night, along the main road, Rt 12, but on the late afternoon of November 4, their walk was more or less in the center of the road because of the fast rising White River . He did not go back to classes at the high school until after Christmas because most of the male population old enough to do laborious chores were put to work restoring bridges, houses, roads, etc. If I remember his stories correctly, for several weeks access to  the town was restricted to boats being pulled across by a rope & pulley system set up by town officials.   
In fact I think there was only one bridge left standing across the White River when the flood ended.
Your program the 14th should be timely and interesting.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: