Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:33:48 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Bike safety Fair -- A Great Success
« previous next »
: [1]
: Bike safety Fair -- A Great Success  ( 2440 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 01, 2006, 07:44:13 AM »

Bike Safety Fair -A Great Success

Saturday, Sept. 30 was a magnificent day for the Rec Path Dedication and Bike Safety Fair. Those of us who were there early setting up for the events, had the pleasure of watching two hot air balloons land right in the area!Carol Lizotte, with the help of many volunteers, has worked tirelessly to make the recreation path and park a reality. After the Ribbon Cutting and Path Dedication, the Bike Safety Fair began in the BFA Elementary Parking Lot. Approximately 50 kids registered under the friendly and watchful eyes of Judy Cleary (Selectboard Member) and Peg Stewart (School Board Chair). From there, the kids ventured over to visit Steve White, of"Whites Bikes" in Georgia, where Steve checked their bikes for safety, tightened nuts and screws, and filled tires with air. Then the participants rode through the"Bike Rodeo" courses, which were well planned by educators Jill McKeown and Justin Brown, and marked out by Bob (BFA maintenance).After finishing the Bike Rodeo, they received a photo license. Bonnie Waninger, staff member of the Regional Planning Commission, and our Regional Safe Routes to School Coordinator, deftly ran the equipment (lent to us by Blue Cross-Blue Shield) which produced the photo licenses. There were free Frisbees, pens, water bottles, reflectors, bike horns, lots of health and safe information, and most important, the congratulations of their proud parents. State Trooper Bill Sweeny helped guide kids through parts of the Bike Rodeo, and was a friendly presence. Fairfax Rescue was on site in the event of any mishaps, and they also allowed kids to look into the rescue rig. Cindy Rutkowski and Doris, representing Community Health& Wellness had a wonderful health/wellness/safety display, and Bike Helmets available for $5.00. We're looking forward to another Bike Safety Fair in the Spring, and in the meantime, there will be on-going fun and educational events to promote Health/Safety/Fitness and Walking/Biking to school. We had a great kickoff event for the Safe Routes to School Program. Thanks to all volunteers whose names I may not have mentioned above!

Colleen Steen[/b]

Henry Raymond
Peg Stewart

« #1 : October 01, 2006, 12:06:23 PM »

A huge thank you goes to Colleen Steen for all she did for the Bike Fair and also for all the assistance she is giving in the Safe Routes to School program.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: